CoinPeople.com

Art Noveau Medals - Minting Practices

Does anyone know how the minting process worked for creating medals at the mint in Paris? Obviously the artists supplied the designs and then the medals were marked with the mint mark and alloy used. But, did they keep track of the production runs? Or was it just done on an ad hoc basis with limited accounting? As for the artists: Daniel Dupuis' catalog lists many cast medals of huge size usually of portraits. But these seem to be very rare. Were the large casts limited pieces, or even unique pieces, done for specific customers? They do tend to be of portraits while thematic issues are more often struck though with large casts also listed in the catalog.

I know there are early catalogs and other publications from the Paris mint, but I do not have any and have been outbid or unable to pay the price when I've seen them available. I don't know exactly what information they contain, but some piece of what you are looking for is out there. The publications I know about are on my want list--someday.

• 3 months later...

I do not know the minting process of the Paris mint. But I am sure that your question has to be answered more or less for each individual medal. The minting or the casting process is on first hand selected by the artist.

Art medals with high relief are often based on casted pieces which later are minted in detail. These medals could not be minted in one step, because the one step minting process would easily destroy the stamp or the medal.

Archived