CoinPeople.com

trial strike, essai, pattern and specimen

coinhead

Hello collectors,

I need help with Krause term essai and pattern, explanation and differences??

What the hell is a trial strike?? Is it something about probing the desing in a planchet and study if minor imperfections arise before striking million of coins???

Canada mint is making Specimen quality coins??? Whats that???

And finally problem with the Uk mint term BU. I don't know but I've heard the royal british mint has a process to make the coins more perfect in their BU mint sets than te business strikes.

Need help to translate in spanish for the FNMT and make a glosary in 3 languages. Im not recieving any money just helping a Canadian translator.

Benjamin

I think an essay is a coin struck to test the effect of minting on a metal. Maybe I'm thinking of an assay.

And a pattern is a coin with design features (inscriptions, images, or even the coin's metal) varied to see which looks/mints best.

Welcome BACK to CP!

At the bottom of the first refernce is a list made in Germany for all of the world

However they miss MS which is equivalent to Bankfrisch or MS 60 or better

http://www.anumis.de/lexikon/e/pe079.html

Here is somebody who does not know what to do with FDC ( which should be MS65 or better) bottom of page again

BU is MS63 or better ( = Choice uncirculated )

http://www.eurocoins.liesemeijer.com/Grading.html

Essai is a trial strike

Two instances come to mind

You got 5 possible designs like the first lucky angel design and you teststrike the five finalists for the jury and only the lucky angel made it in production

Second you want a trial of your die on a material that will not damage the die like lead eg

However there is a lot of coins and medals out there with the words essai on them and put in plastic with a certificate and to me those

are just ways of selling some at a higher price

I got 4 essais

1980_Prise_de_la_bastille.jpg