CoinPeople.com

1774 Double Strike English Half Pence?

Porschenut

Hello,

Here is a cool coin, I think. It is a 1774 George III half Penny (I think) that has been hit twice by the minting die. It looks like it was hit half way twice and then the people making the coins gave up and released it anyway. Where can I look up such odities? Are there lots of this type of coin abouit?

How would I get rid of the green stuff growing on the head side it looks like oxidized copper. I don't really want the coin eating it's self through corrossion.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

1774_Double_strike_English_coin.jpg

1774_Double_strike_English_coin_Head_side.jpg

It does look double struck, a neat Georgian error.

As for the verdigris, hot water might be able to loosen it as it is often soluble. Otherwise you can scratch it off but you will end up scratching the actual coin unless you use something like an old toothbrush.

There are also more destructive methods such as electrolysis and acid dipping, it's up to you. But if you do one of these two test it on a poor coin first.

Cheers,

Clive.

I cut the small end off a low-voltage mobile phone charger, split the metal wires and attached one end to a coin and the other to a giant paper-clip. Pour into a cup water and add lots of NaCl, hey presto, your off!

I'd advise that you read something like this so as to do it all properly: http://gometaldetecting.com/electrolysis_cleaning.htm

Cheers,

Clive.

Archived