CoinPeople.com

Help with Historical Figure

Drusus

otto.jpg

All I know about this coin is that it is a Silver Denar (penny) of Otto V Margrave of Brandenburg of the line Brandenburg-Salzwedel 1268-1299. Brandenburg was split between two houses Brandenburg-Salzwedel and Brandenburg-Stendal, He was son of Otto III and ruled jointly with his brothers, John III, Otto VI, and Albert III. He married Judith von Henneberg, daughter of Hermann II Graf von Henneberg, in 1268. The coin depects a Roman Helmet on the reverse and Otto V on the obverse.

Children of Otto V Markgraf von Brandenburg and Judith von Henneberg

Hermann I Markgraf von Brandenburg+ d. 1308

Mathilde von Brandenburg d. a 1290

Kunigunde von Brandenburg d. 1317

Otto von Brandenburg d. 1307

Judith von Brandenburg d. 1328

Beatrix von Brandenburg+ b. c 1270, d. b 23 Apr 1316

Albrecht von Brandenburg b. b 1283, d. c 1296

I am wondering if anyone might have any further info about this guy, what he did in his lifetime. All I can find are these basic bits of info.

I was thinking maybe some of our german friends might be privy to some sources I havent seen regarding this person...if not, it will be a short write-up for a change...:ninja:

Admittedly I do not have the foggiest idea of who that guy is. :ninja: Seems he was called "Otto der Lange" (Otto the Long, or maybe, if that referred to his height, Otto the Tall). This page http://www.genealogie-mittelalter.de/askan...urg_+_1299.html has some info on him. According to that text, Otto "helped" the Bohemians against Rudolf von Habsburg - only to later rule in that area as if he was king himself. Otto even kept the Bohemian throne heir Wenzel (Vaclav), a little boy, and would only release him three years later when Wenzel was 12 ...

Here is another denar from those years. Blurry image though.

http://www.realedition.de/Numismatik/brand...ier/B1-222.html

Christian

Admittedly I do not have the foggiest idea of who that guy is. :ninja: Seems he was called "Otto der Lange" (Otto the Long, or maybe, if that referred to his height, Otto the Tall). This page http://www.genealogie-mittelalter.de/askan...urg_+_1299.html has some info on him. According to that text, Otto "helped" the Bohemians against Rudolf von Habsburg - only to later rule in that area as if he was king himself. Otto even kept the Bohemian throne heir Wenzel (Vaclav), a little boy, and would only release him three years later when Wenzel was 12 ...

Its going to take me some time to translate that but I have a feeling that page might have much of what I need. If I can get as much info as I can on him and what he did in english I can use it for my site and then post it to wikipedia ;) There is a real lack (as far as I can tell) of any information online in english about this man. Thanks for the help.

Archived