CoinPeople.com

Pavel I coins

tqc2002

Hi all,

I'm doing a little research about Russian Tsars and I have found out that almost every tzar or tzarist have a coin with his/her portrait on them - Except Pavel the 1st - since I have not found any coin with his portrait I assumed that he didn't have any.

Does Pavel the only Tzar that didn't have his portrait on his coins? (I'm refering to Russia of 1721-1917)

Thank you in advanced

TQ

He wasn't very good looking :ninja:

But actually there is no portrait roubles (apart from some patterns and commemorative issues) starting with Paul I all the way to Alexander III (1883).

You will find a wealth of such information in almost any catalogue. Get Rylov and Soblin, if you can find one. Its pretty old but it is cheap, thin, and shows a lot of coins.

No Steve I havn't answered myself - Alex did!!! Thank you alex.

If I have it correctly - there were no Portrait coins starting with Paul I all the way to Alexander III , Including Alex the 3rd or not? and then came Nickolay II which have Portrait coins.

Thanks for your answer

TQ

Actually answer depends from how you define word "coin". Are patterns, mules, commemorative issues, etc. included? For example, there were pattern Rubles with portrait of Paul I, and well known patterns with portrait of Alexander I, etc., etc. plus Polish coinage with portrait of Alexander I, commemoratives 1 1/2 and 1 Ruble with portrait of Alexander I, plus 1898 Ruble with portrait of Alexander II, plus 1859 Commemorative Ruble with portrait of Nicholas I...etc. So, actually EVERY tsar's portrait (from Peter I to Nicholas II) is somehow present on a coin.

WCO

No Steve I havn't answered myself - Alex did!!! Thank you alex.

If I have it correctly - there were no Portrait coins starting with Paul I all the way to Alexander III , Including Alex the 3rd or not? and then came Nickolay II which have Portrait coins.

Thanks for your answer

TQ

Some coins minted during the reign of Alexander III did not have a portrait, but most of them did ... surely you must have at least ONE catalog with pictures of coins?

Hi all,

I'm doing a little research about Russian Tsars and I have found out that almost every tzar or tzarist have a coin with his/her portrait on them - Except Pavel the 1st - since I have not found any coin with his portrait I assumed that he didn't have any.

Does Pavel the only Tzar that didn't have his portrait on his coins? (I'm refering to Russia of 1721-1917)

Thank you in advanced

TQ

Not a correct presumption. Pavel did have a portrait rouble. Although, it was a pattern.

Archived