CoinPeople.com

Where are the new designs.... HERE THEY ARE!!!!!!!!

Johnny 1989

Heh yeah! Crown dependency coins are about the most interesting thing you'll find in circulation here! That and fake pound coins :ninja:

I always keep any Jersey coins as I have family ties with the Island. ;)

Ah, Jersey... A lovely island, been there well over a dozen times, a most interesting place as is nothing like mainland UK in may respects.

I do love some of the "Commonwealth" pound coins, Gibraltar, Falklands etc...

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Had them all now except the 50p & £1 coins, I have the new designs for all from 1p-20p the old designs with 2008 on them except (I think) the 20p & a standard 2008 £2 coin

Just got 2 different 2008 20p coins in the space of 2 days - one with the new design and one with the old. I've got to say that I still find it rather strange having a coin design showing a lion's backside on it!! 8-}

I still haven't seen a 2008 10p, 50p or 1 pound (of either design).

Interestingly, I recently found a 1998 1 pound coin in my change with the standard Sewell design coat of arms. From the condition of it (pretty good), I presume someone must have broken it out of an uncirculated/specimen set.

All the best

Ian

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

What i've found (update of what's out there).

Old design; 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p (these are not common), 20p** & £1

New design; 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p & £1

I haven't found any old design 50p coins yet.

**Watch out for any new design 20p's with the old obverse, i.e dateless mule coins. I took a gamble and bought one off of ebay just incase (thus i won't kick myself later if I can find one in circulation). There are quite a lot of them around on ebay going for £35 (average) [whuch is what I shelled out for one... it may have been a mistake as they may be fairly common, however, last time I sat on the fence when I was offered the rare 1983 2p for about £300 I turned it down, when I look in the price book now I sometimes think that was a tad rash considering they go for £500 and i'm unlikely to see another).

yea the cuds.., i used to pluck those out every day back when they first came out lol

i guess it depends when the coins are needed, £1 are becoming more noticable this month then before, but here the 20p has been around quite a while (even a possible die variant in the early pieces).

I always find 20p coins to be the rarest denomination. When I was down in Galloway last year I only ever saw three or four 2007 20p coins. I'm in Edinburgh now and I've only seen two of the new 2008 20p coins (my flatmate had one a week ago, and refused to give me it to wind me up :ninja:)

Well I'm in Sheffield and I've seen more New 20p and £1 coins than anything else. 10p's are the rarest round these parts (the old ones especially so) , 50p's are slowly becoming more frequent. I haven't seen as many new 2p coins lately.

Still no mules though, I think i'm going to have to go to the bank at some point and start going through 20p bags until I find one, IF I find one. I don't really want to have to buy another!

20ps are the most common down here in Surrey, follwed by the 1p, then 2p with the 5p and 10p still being pretty commonplace. Not seen many of the 50ps or £1s in circulation here though, just dozens of all the other denominations.

Yeah you can get bags of coins from the bank, last year i got four bags (£20 worth) of 10ps from the Halifax in Sheffield so I could search for the elusive 10p varieties. There was no problems/no questions asked. Shopkeepers/Market traders get them/cash them in all the time.

At smaller branches i'd probably even go so far as to ask if they have any bags with new coins in. If you don't ask, you don't get.

I do have a £50 note to dispose of so that could get me five bags of twenties.

Archived