CoinPeople.com

Aalborg Part IV Russian copper coins

RARENUM

Sorry, i dont have images for you, but i wanted to say that there is some very nice material for copper collectors in this auction. Some one posted earlier that this auction was mostly leftover picking from the other Aalborg, but there are quite a few rare coins up, including this TM 2k, a TM 5K, among others. There is also a very wide selection of Overstruck coins, and a wide range of copper from Peter I and onward.

The slab folks wont find as much mint state eye candy as the previous Aalborg auctions, but there is a quite bid of good stuff for us ugly copper collectors. :ninja:

Sorry, i dont have images for you, but i wanted to say that there is some very nice material for copper collectors in this auction. Some one posted earlier that this auction was mostly leftover picking from the other Aalborg, but there are quite a few rare coins up, including this TM 2k, a TM 5K, among others. There is also a very wide selection of Overstruck coins, and a wide range of copper from Peter I and onward.

The slab folks wont find as much mint state eye candy as the previous Aalborg auctions, but there is a quite bid of good stuff for us ugly copper collectors. :ninja:

I also don't have any images of the 1787TM 2K...this is the first I've seen. I would also agree that there are some very interesting coins, more than I expected given earlier comments.

Steve

I would also agree that there are some very interesting coins, more than I expected given earlier comments. Steve
I agree earlier comments .I have plans go to Denmark :ninja: , but now I’m not sure ;) .Last 3rd sale I have purchased only one coin.

Rarenum: As you know...

All 1788TM 2Ks (including mine) show a recut 8/7. However the Aalborg coin does not look like it was from the 1787 die that was modified in 1788.

For example, I don't see the 1787 monogram die spot (above the 8) on any 1788. The 17 also looks different from 17's seen on the 1788s. It's possible the spot was cleaned up and the 17s also recut in 1788 but why bother?

How many 1787 dies were there at Tavrida? Don't know. I'd be surprised if there were more than one or two. If only one, you already have your answer about this. If two, it's possible it's real, but at this point I'm very suspicious.

Steve

Rarenum: As you know...

All 1788TM 2Ks (including mine) show a recut 8/7. However the Aalborg coin does not look like it was from the 1787 die that was modified in 1788.

For example, I don't see the 1787 monogram die spot (above the 8) on any 1788. The 17 also looks different from 17's seen on the 1788s. It's possible the spot was cleaned up and the 17s also recut in 1788 but why bother?

How many 1787 dies were there at Tavrida? Don't know. I'd be surprised if there were more than one or two. If only one, you already have your answer about this. If two, it's possible it's real, but at this point I'm very suspicious.

Steve

I agree,only one dies exist.

Rarenum.

I agree,only one dies exist.

Rarenum.

It's also interesting that this 1787 showed up in Part IV of what was supposed to be a 3-part sale. It should have been a major headline coin early in an earlier part. Wonder if it's because there were doubts about it.

It's also interesting that this 1787 showed up in Part IV of what was supposed to be a 3-part sale. It should have been a major headline coin early in an earlier part. Wonder if it's because there were doubts about it.

If you look at page 2 in Part III, you will see a page advertising highlights of Part IV, including this coin.

Who knows why they decided to have part IV. :ninja:

If you look at page 2 in Part III, you will see a page advertising highlights of Part IV, including this coin.

Who knows why they decided to have part IV. :ninja:

Thanks Igor ;)

I can see having a headline coin in each part...it makes sense. It just seems like Part IV was an afterthought given their initial advertizing of a 3 part sale, but from your obversation it's clear that even by Part III they were talking about Part IV.

Any opinion about the coin? I'm not going to be bidding. The only way I'd actually win it would be if nobody else bid and then, of course, I wouldn't want it. It's like trading in the markets. The positions you end up with are often the ones you don't really want. The ones you want are those you end up missing. ;)

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
Squirrell .. I am not an ugly copper collector.. my dog thinks I am very attractive ..

:ninja:;)

I do think that sometimes we are looked down upun by silver and gold collectors .. but my dog still loves me ..

Mike ... welcome to CoinPeople! ;) (from an ugly collector of beautiful gold and silver -- and the occasional beautiful copper coins as well)!

I don't have a dog ... (and as long as I don't show my wife what coins I am buying ... well, I think she still loves me ... even though I have been in the doghouse once or twice!) ;)

Squirrell .. I am not an ugly copper collector.. my dog thinks I am very attractive .. I do think that sometimes we are looked down upun by silver and gold collectors .. but my dog still loves me ..

I collect all metals, mostly silver, some gold, and some copper.

Brekke had a fabulous Peter I collection in silver and some really neat gold coins as well. But he wrote his book about the copper. ;)

My most treasured coin in my entire collection is a copper piece. :ninja:

Welcome to coinpeople.

Thank you gentlemen. I read this Forum daily and just wanted to say HI. I was callecting everything copper but had to downsize due to the RISING PRICES. Getting rid of small denominations and keeping 2 and 5 kopeks 1723 to 1796. Also keeping Siberian . Thanks again for the kind welcome.

Squirrell .. I am not an ugly copper collector.. my dog thinks I am very attractive .. I do think that sometimes we are looked down upun by silver and gold collectors .. but my dog still loves me ..
Mike, Welcome to Coin People ;) Well, I will be happy buy “ugly coins” for estimate price ;) , but it looks like a lot of collectors like ugly coins :ninja:

I collect all metals, mostly silver, some gold, and some copper.

Brekke had a fabulous Peter I collection in silver and some really neat gold coins as well. But he wrote his book about the copper. ;)

My most treasured coin in my entire collection is a copper piece. :ninja:

Welcome to coinpeople.

I love ugly coins in silver, copper, nikel.Was trying starting collect gold, but it doesn’t work for me. First you should closed hole in your collection, second try to find better coin.

Today’s days every body pay attention to condition of the coin, but not every body knows real rarity.

My tresured in copper ;)

Thanks RARENUM. Am making lots of money on Ebay to spend on new coins. I keep getting outbid on the Thomas Hoiland copper. The prices are high even when you have the money in the budget.

Mike! Finally you joined us! You were talking about it for a long time. Welcome! :ninja:

Today’s days every body pay attention to condition of the coin, but not every body knows real rarity.

My tresured in copper :ninja:

Rarenum, I completely agree with that statement! It looks like a lot of new people are joining the ranks of collectors without investing any time in studying/understanding what they are collecting. As a consequence the only criterion they understand (sometimes incorrectly) is condition. That’s the main reason why slabs go for astronomical prices, and every Chinese fake has at least 5 people bidding on it. But, I’m not complaining at least that gives me an opportunity to pick up something ugly but curious once in a while.

Welcome Mike, I’m fairly new here, but for some reason your name sounds familiar. Maybe I saw your auctions on eBay or something.

;);)

Mike, If my wife found out how much ive bid (fruitlessly, as of this moment) on the Russia 4 ugly copper , i would certainly be in the doghouse!

No matter how many times i tell her "someday all this will be yours!...." :ninja:

I know the feeling .. didn't start collecting till after my divorce. Given a choice .. I prefer the UGLY COPPER. In truth I collected Lincoln Cents when I was a kid. Could not afford anything of higher value. I think Russian copper is just a carry over. But now I can buy a copper penny for $ 400.

Archived