CoinPeople.com

20 cent piece

syzygy

wonder why it was a one year only deal?

"The unusual denomination was chosen as a bridge between two currency systems. It apparently deferred to the pounds, shillings, pence basis of the Halifax currency system while naming the new issue in the dollar, cents, mills system. . . The replacement of the 20-cent piece with a 25-cent coin came after Confedration." P.60, Canadian Coins 60th Anniversary Edition, W.K. Cross, published by Charlton, 2006

I've been meaning to upload this one for a while, so I got unlazy and did it :ninja: It's in an old ICCS holder, and I think it could have been graded a bit higher than F-15. There is still a good amount of detail in the braids of her hair. The second 8 in 1858 is quite weakly struck, but I've read that these pieces were quite weakly struck in general.

943617.jpg

I've been meaning to upload this one for a while, so I got unlazy and did it :ninja: It's in an old ICCS holder, and I think it could have been graded a bit higher than F-15. There is still a good amount of detail in the braids of her hair. The second 8 in 1858 is quite weakly struck, but I've read that these pieces were quite weakly struck in general.

943617.jpg

that profile makes it look like someone gave the queen a hickey ;)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

According to a book of mine, the twenty cent coin was produced for only one year because that was all that were needed(silver five and ten cents also were made for a year). It also says that "Canada" was just Quebec and Ontario at that time. And during the American Civil war you could get more than a dollars worth of silver coins for a dollar in gold so they were brought to Canada where our Quarter and your "double disme" were confused for each other, so, the government melted them and started issuing twenty-five cent notes that continued into the thirties, and finally got some twenty-five and fifty cent coins in 1870.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Upgraded my old piece :)

Definitely one of my new favorites. So very hard to photograph though. The devices are all original mint lustre, but even the fields are quite lustrous and toned.

I'll leave the grade out in case anyone cares to have a guess.

1858%2020c%20PCGS%20AU53%20toned%20obv.jpg

1858%2020c%20PCGS%20AU53%20toned%20obv2.jpg

1858%2020c%20PCGS%20AU53%20toned%20rev.jpg

Love that kind of toning. (And I didn't know the Canadians did 20 cent pieces!)

I'd suggest a long exposure and no flash, with light from the side, or a ring flash (somewhat specialized piece of equipment, and might require an SLR camera and lets face it that kind of money is better spent on round metallic disks). I've done the former with decent results. But a long exposure means you will need a tripod or stand of some type to hold the camera still. If you can put the sucker on a 2 second delay, even better.

Jeez.... I can't tell if that's a weak strike or wear. Beautiful coin though!

Thanks :) It's actually a little of both, the strike is pretty weak in places, but there's also evidence of wear. There's some very light hairlining which is common on circulated sterling silver coins this old. The contrast between the bright lustre in the devices and the duller lustre over the unprotected areas of the rest of the coin are also a tell tale sign of being circulated.

It's in an old green AU53 PCGS holder. I think it's graded pretty much spot on. As much as I like nice, eye-appealing, toned coins- it shouldn't have an effect on the technical grade.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived