CoinPeople.com

1953 Cent shoulder fold/strap help please

halfdollar

The first one is the SF (Shoulder Fold or Shoulder Strap). On worn examples it is easier to tell by the "I" in DEI on the obverse. The top and bottom ends flare outward, centered in between two denticles (and spreading over 2 denticles). Canadian Coin News shows trends as F $1, VF $2, EF $4, AU $8, MS60 $15. I suck at grading Eliz II pieces, but it's probably in the VF range?

The other is NSF. The I in DEI on this one is narrower and centered on a single rim denticle. This is the more common one and it only worth $1 or more in mint condition. I like the purple toning on this one :ninja:

I took a look back at the photos and I made an oops. The first one is a SF and the 2nd one is NSF, but my description of the I's were reversed. The SF has straight I's and the NSF has the "flared" I's that run across two rim denticles.

I see what you mean but still have a question.

I still see what looks like to me a strap indentation. Is it supposed to look like that?

I took a close up of both. The first 2 pictures are of the one that is SF.

2.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

I haven't seen many of these. On the QEII cents in my collection with and without the shoulder fold I can't really tell the difference by looking at her shoulder, even though some aren't too badly worn.

As far as I know the "strap" or fold is supposed to run along toward her back. On your SF cent you can see the start of the line (pointed out by the red arrow in my pic). Then it either runs along where I drew the blue dotted line, or slighty higher, I am not sure which one.

SFedit.jpg

I haven't seen many of these. On the QEII cents in my collection with and without the shoulder fold I can't really tell the difference by looking at her shoulder, even though some aren't too badly worn.

As far as I know the "strap" or fold is supposed to run along toward her back. On your SF cent you can see the start of the line (pointed out by the red arrow in my pic). Then it either runs along where I drew the blue dotted line, or slighty higher, I am not sure which one.

SFedit.jpg

Thank you very much for the explanation. Now I understand :ninja:

Archived