CoinPeople.com

1967 Dimes & Quarters

Coinmelt

1967 has two compositions the .800 silver and the .500 silver.

The 80% and 50% dimes weigh the same (2.33g) and the 80% and 50% quarters weigh the same (5.81g). So, how can you easily tell the difference. If the weights are the same. Anyone have some methods?

1967 has two compositions the .800 silver and the .500 silver.

The 80% and 50% dimes weigh the same (2.33g) and the 80% and 50% quarters weigh the same (5.81g). So, how can you easily tell the difference. If the weights are the same. Anyone have some methods?

The silver content differential may be enough for the tissue paper test to work.

Lay the coins on a flat surface and cover them with a single ply of facial tissue. There is a very noticeable difference between the coloration of coin silver and cu-ni as seen through the paper, with the silver much whiter looking. I've never tried it with items of silver with different fineness, but it might work. Unfortunately, not many people - if any - can detect a definitive difference in the "ring" sound of dropped .500 and .800 coins.

The silver content differential may be enough for the tissue paper test to work.

Lay the coins on a flat surface and cover them with a single ply of facial tissue. There is a very noticeable difference between the coloration of coin silver and cu-ni as seen through the paper, with the silver much whiter looking. I've never tried it with items of silver with different fineness, but it might work. Unfortunately, not many people - if any - can detect a definitive difference in the "ring" sound of dropped .500 and .800 coins.

Thanks Satootoko. I've tried the tissue test already. I didn't really notice a difference in brightness ... however I'll try it again later on.

Any other methods I'm opening to hearing them.

I've tried the tissue test already.
Are you sure you have at least one of each composition?

Edited to add: The only non-destructive sure-fire method that I know of would be to test the specific gravity of your coins.

The specific gravity of silver is 10.5, while Copper and nickel are both <9, so the overall SG of a .900 silver coin (~10.35) will be greater than that of a .500 silver piece (~9.75).

An internet search should turn up several ways to measure relative specific gravity without fancy instruments.

Are you sure you have at least one of each composition?

1952 = .800

1967 = n/a

1968 = .500

laid out on the table under a tissue. The brightest one is actually the 1968 do to the fact its BU.

Edit - 1952 actually shows up a little dark due to the dirt on it. Tissue test isn't the greatest. Aluminum tends to glow white also.

Not 100% sure yet but I've been reading up on specific gravity. Once I get a new digital scale that will be my method.

Thanks again Satootoko for the info.

I only have one 1987 Canadian quarter. which I was planning on selling on eBay, but I certainly can't advertise it if I don't know the silver content. There has to be a way to figure out what's what, so what's the way?

1987 doesn't have any silver in it. Did you mean 1967?..

Archived