CoinPeople.com

War Nickels

TreasureGirl

I don't get them very often in change anymore, but they are different with the larger mintmark on the reverse. If I buy a $100 box of nickels I average about 1 per 1000 coins. These coins coincidentally have the highest silver to face value ratio of any US coin:

1942-1945 Nickel 0.05 $0.9598 1919.72%

Whereas dimes are this:

1946-1964 Roosevelt Dime $0.10 $1.2341 1234.10%

From coinflation.com

I have gotten nickels dated as early as 1938 out of boxes, no buffalos yet, but I did get one in change about 18 months ago, very well worn.

BTW TG, I thought I sent you some War nickels once?

My only war nickel is the I got from you Scottishmoney. I just never got any in circulation.

I suppose I should start gambling more if I want to see any :ninja:

To LostDutchman...people think it will increase there luck to throw away such a nice coin...Gamblers (pssshhhh) ;)

TreasureGirl...I have never encountered any coins worth anything more than face value, I have met several people to include my mom that get this stuff everyday...just have to be at the right place at the right time I guess? :ninja:

I have found some war nickels in roll searches over the last few years, though I calculate the frequency at about 1 per 3000 coins. I'm not surprised to see them however, since probably less people are aware of silver in nickels than are aware of silver in higher denominations.

TreasureGirl...I have never encountered any coins worth anything more than face value, I have met several people to include my mom that get this stuff everyday...just have to be at the right place at the right time I guess? :ninja:

That's pretty true. At our high school cafeteria I was given one silver dime and one silver quarter, and I took one silver dime out of their register (I was SO rude - I just leaned over and took it and said, "Can I take a look at this?" - a 1958 dime - and didn't have any change with which to replace it right away but she let me keep it). I've gotten 5 silver quarters and one silver dime (which I had taken out as change for my quarter when I wanted like 3 pennies, I had overlooked it before!) from the roller rink where I work, and one quarter I got when asking for change at the gas station above the local laundromat. I think the moral of the story is (with the exception of the gas station) - head to the places where the kids are! They don't know what they're giving away.

War nickels were only issued for 3.5 years while silver dimes, quarters etc. were issued for much longer periods of time and therefore there are far far more of them floating around. I've been pulling war nickels out of circulation since the late 1950s just to put in Jefferson sets. Now with the silver premium, I'd think that they have all but disappeared in changes. You do get the collection raid or deposit box dump of coins once in a while.

War nickels were only issued for 3.5 years while silver dimes, quarters etc. were issued for much longer periods of time and therefore there are far far more of them floating around. I've been pulling war nickels out of circulation since the late 1950s just to put in Jefferson sets. Now with the silver premium, I'd think that they have all but disappeared in changes. You do get the collection raid or deposit box dump of coins once in a while.

I never think about mintage numbers when I can't find my 2005 Sac or have an abundancy of 1964 Jeffs.. thanks for pointing out the obvious Art, I needed it.

I've only searched one box of nickels at this point and found 1 wartime nickel.

6 boxes of dimes = 18 silver rossies and 5 silver canadian dimes

1 box of quarters = no silver

2 boxes of pennies = no silver :ninja:

well atleast i have 1 1943-p war nickel down here in bahrain :ninja: thanks to vfox ;) ...hmm if i try real hard i bet i can find another 1 ...may be.. cause most dealers will just mistake it for a random nickel..but than again the oldest nickel i found in bahrain is a 1954-p soo ehh... ;) ...most dealers down here price a coin by year and size...so sometimes you get lucky and sometimes not so lucky.. xD anything pre 1940's is old to them thus worth something more than a junkbin when its supposed to be in a junk bin >_<

Theres a guy on another forum that is searching nickels rolls on a daily basis and posting the results. His goal is 25,000 rolls. He has searched 4100 rolls so far and found 70 silver War nickels.

So.....they are out there if you look.

He's also found 13 buffalo nickels and 2 proof nickels.

Between me and a girl (who also hordes silver) I work with......we find about one silver nickel every other week, one silver dime every other week, and a silver quarter every month. Funny part is about 10 wheaties a day....we both stopped buying them unless they are pre 1940. (Or steel) But you have to remember my store has about $650,000-$1,000,000 in sales a week, so lots of cash (although less and less lately....maybe less than 1/8th cash) is passed through our hands.

Lots of answers so far but you never said WHICH WAR. It appears everyone thinks your talking about the WW2. Could you mean the 1st World War. How about the Civil War. And of course there was that famous Creek-Trojan War. HMMMM. Did they have coins back then and if so were they dated with a BC after the date? :ninja:

WW2 Nickels were made from 1942 to 1945. Since so many think they can get rich hoarding those and then attempting to have them melted for the Silver, they are becoming a seldom seen coin.

Archived