Jump to content
CoinPeople.com

EURO COINS ARE TOXIC!!!


zjemller
 Share

Recommended Posts

;)EURO COINS ARE TOXIC Has anyone heard of that? I guess next time I handle my EUROS I got to wear gloves ;)

 

Uhoh...

 

Maybe it's a good idea that the UK hasn't adopted the Euro, yet... :ninja:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If this scare is true, one has to wonder how come neither US 5¢ pieces, nor Canadian nickel coins, have caused any such problems.

 

 

Maybe they have. Maybe we are being posend with our nickels without even knowing it. :ninja:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Toxic" isn't even close to the right description of an allergy to a metal. That article is extremely misleading. Saying that nickel coins can be harmful while in your pants pockets is 100% false.

 

Introduction

 

Nickel is a metal found in many everyday items — from coins to belt buckles, and from jewelry to eyeglass frames.

 

Having an allergic reaction to nickel (nickel allergy) is common. In fact, nickel is one of the 10 most common causes of allergic contact dermatitis — a skin inflammation resulting in swollen, reddened and itchy skin due to direct contact with an allergen.

 

A nickel allergy may develop after your initial exposure to items containing nickel, or after repeated or prolonged exposure to nickel. In most cases, the resulting rash occurs only at the site of contact, though it may be found on other parts of your body as well.

 

Nickel allergy affects people of all ages. In most cases, it's a minor annoyance. However, in severe cases, the rash and extreme itching can be disabling — especially when located on your hands. There's no cure for nickel allergy. The best approach to nickel allergy is to avoid contact with nickel.

 

Source: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/nickel-allergy/DS00826

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's bizarre :ninja: Must be the chrome level in stainless that's making him allergic against.

 

he said its the nickel. I told him to stay away from turbine blades in aeroplanes and other superalloys.

 

 

lol. materials science joke.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A good reason to avoid the Euros :ninja:

Sh-sh-sh. Don't tell the Brits that their coins contain even more nickel than the euro pieces. ;)

 

The EU limitations that apply to earrings for example - stuff that your skin is more or less permanently exposed to - do of course not apply to coins. Yet the EU decided in the 90s that the cent coins (€0.01-0.50) would not have any nickel at all. That is, across all denominations you have significantly less nickel than, say, in pre-euro German coins or in British decimal coinage. Well, then somebody came up with the idea that bi-metallic coins "let out" more nickel than others due to their composition - again without taking into account, it seems, that jewellery and coins are used in quite different ways. A good reason to avoid the £2 pieces, hehe.

 

Christian

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting.

 

In all my years, I've heard of far more people allergic to silver and the "cheap" gold alloys, and not once have I heard of a nickel allergy. Trust me, I sold flutes for years, and anyone allergic to silver had to get a gold-plated lip plate or a nickel-plated flute, and not ONCE did I come across anyone allergic to the nickel ones!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any circulated coin should be considered toxic.

I wash my hands before and after I handle coins for the obvious reason that most people DON'T wash their hands before and after they handle coins.

 

As for nickel being toxic, it probably is.

But I remember science class in the early 1960's where you could play with liquid mercury with your bare hands.

It's a wonder I'm still alive... :ninja:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes but they are at least British ;)

 

 

Well said Matt!

 

Christian seems to be on an Anti-British Campaign recently! :ninja:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...