CoinPeople.com

I'm cracking up

numismatic nut

So I bought a role of 1958 wheats from a fellow coin people person. I went through it and found a die crack. When I finished, I found a total of 10 die cracks. All the same spot, same date and mm; same everything.

So, what is the chance of that? Need-less to say, I think they are lucky. I'll post pics later.

those particular die cracks for years have been called "cracked skull" they are very common and don't usually command very much of a premium. maybe $.50 or so each

50 cents each in a high high high MS grade. I wouldn't pay more than a penny for that sucker.

I've said this many times before, corky, I've never found more than one or two interesting varieties in change in my LIFE! I've been collecting a wee bit longer than you, too! So I'd probably keep all of them if I found some.

Unfortunately or maybe fortunately error coin collecting is becoming a hot item lately. I think the main reason is many rare coins are just not available so many have turned to error collecting. For example with this latest coin craze there are probably many millions of new collectors. Include millions of one prior to this latest boom and you have millions and millions of coin collectors. Not the mintages on many coins. Many are only a few million and some even less. So an alternative is error coins.

At coin shows lately I can not find an error coin of any kind for less than $5. Many are so minor you would normally throw them back into circulation but now are selling. Your die crack coins would be probably in the $5 to $10 each range at many coin shows. It sounds dumb, but go to some coin shows.

Archived