CoinPeople.com

Why do you use eBay?

thedeadpoint

I've bought in past 5 years maybe 5-600 coins from ebay, and several thousands from coin shows... You must come in Europe at a REAL coin show (Numismata or World Money Fair) to see a real offer of "world" coins!

what i don't like about heritage:

SubTotal: $12.00

Buyer Premium: *$9.00

Shipping and Handling: **$7.25

Sales Tax: $2.33

Amount Due: $30.58

so a $12 item ends up costing 2.5x as much.

it bugs me that the buyer premium doesn't include shipping.

To buy and sell. I trust most dealers on ebay. I have used ebay since 2002 and have had very little trouble. I just accept the fact it's not perfect, and I don't always have $5,000 in coins to use Heritage Auctions.

I've never used it. I don't trust anyone on it. I only use Heritage because I can see the coins/notes so well and they have so many other nice, trustworthy features. They're worth the premium for what I need.

Why the flip does everyone use eBay if they hate it and distrust the sellers/buyers so much????

I found that I can generally buy 90% US silver coins below spot (including shipping). It takes some work, but I'm retired so my time is free. I've never had a problem with any seller there, though I would say that one does have to be careful and read the fine print...

It is a good place to find a selection of tokens, medals, so-called dollars, esoteric books and ephemera, etc. I buy few coins on Ebay except for the odd piece that did not end up in dealer hands. My coin interests are esoteric enough that I rely on specialized dealers although i will not pass up the serendipitous find. You have to pay attention, but I have had only two deals that had erroneous results (the wrong medal sent) and both were immediately corrected by the sellers. A few take a long time to ship (I don't deal with them again), one could have been more careful in their description of the item, I forgot to send payment to one dealer (my error) but received a friendly reminder, and every other deal has been smooth and problem free. I don't jump at deals that are too good to be true.

what i don't like about heritage:

a $12 item ends up costing 2.5x as much.

You've put your finger on the primary difference between Heritage, Superior, the Goldbergs, etc., on the one hand ("Major Auction Houses"), and EBay, Amazon, etc. ("online auctions").

Buying common, low value coins from the majors, doesn't make sense precisely because of all the piled-on extras.

Buying valuable coins from the onliners is dangerous for all the reasons already discussed, but it's a great way to fill all those holes for common, low value dates, especially in world coin collections.

Any time you're buying at auction, you have to base your bid on the net amount which will generate a final price including extras that fit's your budget and willingness to spend.

What I'm not sure of is why so many are in locations where they have to rely on things like ebay and don't attempt to do anything about it. Not sure if I would, but if I lived in a remote area or a location of few or lousy coin shows, I think I'd attempt to contact others in that area to see if they wanted to start a small coin show. Possibly now with the web a call to people in the same area might work right here. Possibly an attempt on Google for coin clubs in the area. It should only take several people to get together and form a small coin show. Once started, if enough hear about it, could grow into something fantastic. Not sure I'd do this or not if it was me mostly due to very old age and medical situations but if someone did, I'd go if possible. A kid I know in Nebraska started a coin club that is growing and growing and may soon become a coin show. If a kid could do it why not some of us older people?

What I'm not sure of is why so many are in locations where they have to rely on things like ebay and don't attempt to do anything about it. Not sure if I would, but if I lived in a remote area or a location of few or lousy coin shows, I think I'd attempt to contact others in that area to see if they wanted to start a small coin show. Possibly now with the web a call to people in the same area might work right here. Possibly an attempt on Google for coin clubs in the area. It should only take several people to get together and form a small coin show. Once started, if enough hear about it, could grow into something fantastic. Not sure I'd do this or not if it was me mostly due to very old age and medical situations but if someone did, I'd go if possible. A kid I know in Nebraska started a coin club that is growing and growing and may soon become a coin show. If a kid could do it why not some of us older people?

because, for the most part, we already live in areas with well-established clubs and shows!

I sold on ebay for a living for 10 years, at one point had 3 employees listing items, I gave that business to someone, hardware, software, trained employees, the whole kit-n-kaboodle........ He no longer speaks to me.

Why would I give a business away that had gross sales of over 1/4 million a year ???

The fees increased every year, the gross sales went down every year, it just was not worth the trouble you had to go through.

How many sellers do you see that have been selling there for over 5 years?

In my humble opinion, ebay is concerned with the buyer and not the seller. What you are seeing now is the result of chasing quality sellers away, lower quality items, more scams, members with multiple ID's, bid shilling..........

Archived