CoinPeople.com

Coin NEWBIE Question

Leighton

Hi, I have come up with a question I cannot find the answer to. Hopefully someone knows....

If i was to buy the 3 coins that consist to make up the Bald Eagle Set separately , and do not obtain the 3 coin mint set produced by US Mint, will i have a legitimate set or not.

I am new to coin collecting and I am curious how this all works........??

regards,

Leighton

Hi, I have come up with a question I cannot find the answer to. Hopefully someone knows....

If i was to buy the 3 coins that consist to make up the Bald Eagle Set separately , and do not obtain the 3 coin mint set produced by US Mint, will i have a legitimate set or not.

I am new to coin collecting and I am curious how this all works........??

regards,

Leighton

It really depends on what you're attempting to do. The US Mint isn't the authority on what's a set and what's not, but there are people ou there who would prefer the mint set all together. If you buy them separately to you, me, and many people on this forum you'd have the full set, but some people are very anal and would only want the coins the set as issued by the US mint. it depends on what you want to do, are you buying for your enjoyment, a gift, or to resell? For your enjoyment it is up to you. If you're buying as a gift for a coin collector, it's better to go by their tastes, but you could play it safe and buy the "set." If you're buying for resell in the future (which I wouldn't advise because of such high mintage figures) I suggest the set. I'm pretty new to the hobby so take my opinions with a grain of salt, there are much more seasoned collectors on here that will be able to offer better advice.

thanks for your thoughts......

I think that the Bald Eagle Comm. coins will become perhaps the #1 comm coins to have. I am considering obtaining all coins involved with all graded by NGC with grades of 70 only. Is this a NEWBIE mistake???

regards

Leighton

Hi Leighton, welcome to the forum.

To me if you own all 3 coins then you have the set. Doesn't matter how you acquired them.

I don't see the point of buying a coin graded 70 over a 69. Unless you are trying to compete in the registries of TPG's. A 69 will save you alot of money you can spend on other coins that you like. And personally I can't see the difference between them except for the number on the slab. When the US mint produces collector coins most will be a 69.

So , I would tell you to buy them the way you want to. You have to enjoy it in the end.

Now when you say the "top commemorative coin" do you mean the most sought after? If this happens to be the case then just know that they will not attain that status, at least not within your lifetime. The coins have high mintage figures, something the mintseems to be doing a lot of lately. This means the US Mint plans on making lots of them, and of course we know what that means, when there is a lot available, the price tends to be low in the secondary market. Even on an MS 70 you probably won't make your money back. Also remember that coin grades tend to moveupwards. Before (of course this is only from what I've read) it was a huge rarity to see an MS70 coin, then over time coins start poping up MS70, then some people were getting coins regraded and they were coming up MS70 too. This really depressed the value of the true MS70 coins that people were paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for. Now you can pick some up for under $100.00!! I would suggest purchasing some older coins like morgan dollars that look like they're in really great condition (This will cost you between $25.00 and $35.00 each for the more common dates) then get them graded (which from what I've heard this will cost you about $20.00). This way you'll have a 100 year head start on the coins age. Be sure to brush up on your grading skills so you can know what to buy and not buy, and you may want to invest in a jewelers loupe. I bought one off amazon for $4.99 shipped!! And it workds great it's a 10x/ 20x butterfly jeweler's loupe.

Not trying to sway you, but like Kristopher said how can you know it will be the top modern commemorative? The Franklin commemoratives come to mind. They sold out in one day. Prices went crazy at first. But after a short while prices dropped. There is no absolute sure shot on coins.

Hi, thanks for the replies.....all are good comments. I believe that by having the Bald Eagle with a comm coin is as American as "hot apple pie and baseball"..........I think it will in the end have much more popularity than the Gold Indian head /Buffalo from a few years back...The only reason the Bald EAgle has not allready completeyly sold out is due to the coin collecting community has had hardly any advertsement on it. How many of you out there know the story regarding the real live Bald Eagle the coin was scultured from ??? Its a very interesting story...I beleive this is a great opportunity for both short and long term invvestment...

regards,

Leighton

Hi, thanks for the replies.....all are good comments. I believe that by having the Bald Eagle with a comm coin is as American as "hot apple pie and baseball"..........I think it will in the end have much more popularity than the Gold Indian head /Buffalo from a few years back...The only reason the Bald EAgle has not allready completeyly sold out is due to the coin collecting community has had hardly any advertsement on it. How many of you out there know the story regarding the real live Bald Eagle the coin was scultured from ??? Its a very interesting story...I beleive this is a great opportunity for both short and long term invvestment...

regards,

Leighton

Ooh.. whats the story?

regards,

Leighton

I don't disagree with how American it is, but that's not the only thing to take into consideration, you must also look at how many of them are created. The mintage figures on these coins are insane. That's the same reason you can still get coins up to about two thousand years old for 50 dollars or less. So many of them were created that there is plenty to fulfill demand. but please do tell the story, I'd love to hear it.

I got a story for ya.......

Come and listen to a story about a man named Jed

A poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed,

Then one day he was shootin at some food,

And up through the ground came a bubblin' crude.

Oil that is, black gold, Texas tea.

Well the first thing you know ol' Jed's a millionaire,

Kinfolk said Jed move away from there

Said Californy is the place you ought to be

So they loaded up the truck and moved to Beverly.

Hills, that is.

Swimmin pools, movie stars.

I got a story for ya.......

Come and listen to a story about a man named Jed

A poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed,

Then one day he was shootin at some food,

And up through the ground came a bubblin' crude.

Oil that is, black gold, Texas tea.

Well the first thing you know ol' Jed's a millionaire,

Kinfolk said Jed move away from there

Said Californy is the place you ought to be

So they loaded up the truck and moved to Beverly.

Hills, that is.

Swimmin pools, movie stars.

thank you brett, that story never gets old!!

Archived