CoinPeople.com

World Coin Bin - found some silver

Coinmelt

I was a few towns over on Friday and stopped in at a coin shop. It was one of those jewelry and coin places. All of the US coins were nicely stacked and priced accordingly. However, the world coins were just dumped in big bins. This is the first time I've been to a coin shop that had bins like these so I was excited. I don't collect world coins but I know a few of the silver ones.

It was 5 coins for 2.00 (50 cents each) I pulled out $10.50 worth of 80% Canadian silver coins - mostly dimes. Which currently have a melt value of $1.24/ea. That's a damn good deal. Found a few more in a loose coin bin at 25 cents each.

Well needless to say I'm working on a list of some various other countries so I can be informed when I go back. The dealer told me he is more interested in jewelry then coins and even gave me 20% off, lol, so it really only cost me $8. I was going to say something but while searching the bins he ripped off an older gentlemen that came in. He was selling 5 ounces of gold (coins) and the dealer told him "Lets say they were .999 or whatever I can only get .600 out of it". So instead of paying him $5,000 or even $4,900... he offered him $3,250!!! and the older man took it because he was in need of cash.

If the older man had simply stood his ground and stated "$4250 or I walk out the door" and actually grabbed his gold and started walking he probably would have pocketed an extra grand or close to it. Good chance he bought these coins when gold was $500/oz, so he still made a profit.

If I was selling 5 gold coins I would use eBay. Or call or send an email to every coin shop within 50 miles.

Good find on those Canadian silver coins.

well im studying business and accounting :ninja: and i can say for a fact that all business owners AND accountants are forced to lie ..i mean if you cant lie than why be a businessman in the first place? ..in lieing you make profit and can back stab people >;)..if you will be honest you'll make a loss....(example say walmart advertising for a new sale on ..laptops...you go there to buy just the laptop but find out that the stock is finished....will you just leave? ..nope you will buy some extra goodies along the way ;)..thats one trick)..its not like its a bad lie..but say a customer comes to sell something in this case and i run the business..as you said the gold is worth $5000.. if i buy them at that ill make lesser profit so ill try to bargin with the seller to get the best possible deal ;)

anyway xD having my exams this week so thinking all businessy ;) nice bargin on the silvers :D

well im studying business and accounting :ninja: and i can say for a fact that all business owners AND accountants are forced to lie ..i mean if you cant lie than why be a businessman in the first place? .

i'll have to remember not to do business with you.

Just got back from the local flea market. Found a few more good deals

1966 Spain 100 Ptas (.4887 oz ASW) - $6.50 - Current melt value: $10.11

35% below melt

1956 Netherlands 1 Gulden (.1504 oz ASW) - $2.00 - Current melt value: $3.11

35% below melt

not too shabby... The rest of the world silver wasn't that great of a deal but I snagged these two

Just got back from the local flea market. Found a few more good deals

1966 Spain 100 Ptas (.4887 oz ASW) - $6.50 - Current melt value: $10.11

35% below melt

1956 Netherlands 1 Gulden (.1504 oz ASW) - $2.00 - Current melt value: $3.11

35% below melt

not too shabby... The rest of the world silver wasn't that great of a deal but I snagged these two

Wow, I need to get better at knowing which world coins are silver!! I only know US silver, which everyone around here does which makes deals hard to find.

Wow, I need to get better at knowing which world coins are silver!! I only know US silver, which everyone around here does which makes deals hard to find.

Yup, I made a little 25 page booklet with world coins, silver fineness, ASW and melt value at $20/oz...broke them up by countries and printed them out on indexcards. Took it to Staples and had them bind it with a spiral thing. 3"x5" reference book right in my pocket written by yours truly - lol.

Of course I forgot about some big countries like Spain... but I have 8 countries covered ... not every single silver coin ever but what I'm most likely to find in the bins.

Of course some coins that aren't in my little book may be in 2x2's at the flea market/shop and have the ASW written on the backs. So I wrote a little program for my cellphone that does the math - ASW * SPOT PRICE (changeable predefined variable) = MELT VALUE... that's how I got those two deals above :ninja:

Lol.. I go prepared now. If an older guy can sit down for 2 hours and look through 45cent wheats then why can't I look for some silver...

Yup, I made a little 25 page booklet with world coins, silver fineness, ASW and melt value at $20/oz...broke them up by countries and printed them out on indexcards. Took it to Staples and had them bind it with a spiral thing. 3"x5" reference book right in my pocket written by yours truly - lol.

Of course I forgot about some big countries like Spain... but I have 8 countries covered ... not every single silver coin ever but what I'm most likely to find in the bins.

Of course some coins that aren't in my little book may be in 2x2's at the flea market/shop and have the ASW written on the backs. So I wrote a little program for my cellphone that does the math - ASW * SPOT PRICE (changeable predefined variable) = MELT VALUE... that's how I got those two deals above :ninja:

Lol.. I go prepared now. If an older guy can sit down for 2 hours and look through 45cent wheats then why can't I look for some silver...

I always look for silver, I haven't found any circulating pieces yet, but I love finding silver at shops for a good deal, of course a good deal is a rarity.

I've just come back from Numismata coin fair, Munich and I've bought some silver coins at 0.50 - 1 euro/piece. The best deal was a 9.3 grams .925 sterling silver medal/token Rahapaja Oy 1993 (probably from a broken Finland coin set. It was 30 euro cents. And one center holed quarter dollar 1853 was 0.50.

The junk silver coins are now at 0.45 euro /gram!!! Past year was 0.25....

I've just come back from Numismata coin fair, Munich and I've bought some silver coins at 0.50 - 1 euro/piece. The best deal was a 9.3 grams .925 sterling silver medal/token Rahapaja Oy 1993 (probably from a broken Finland coin set. It was 30 euro cents. And one center holed quarter dollar 1853 was 0.50.

The junk silver coins are now at 0.45 euro /gram!!! Past year was 0.25....

That token was a good deal... .0321507466 * 9.3g * .925 = .2766 oz ASW - €0.30 = $0.47 - Current melt value ($19.97/oz): $5.52 = €3.51

As for junk silver being $0.70 (€0.45)/gram I'm not sure if thats such a hot deal.

Good job on the token! :ninja:

The coin dealer has 5 gallon plastic buckets and such for 'junk' foreign coins which he sells for 8.50 per pound, which you can go through at will. I hadn't found anything really worth much, except for the last pound I bought.

A 1948 George VI half crown which weighs in at 13.7+- grams. I understand it is 50% silver... ?

Also, I got a $20.00 roll of halves yesterday and found one 1968 D Kennedy.

What is 'Hong Kong silver' circa 1978? Is there any silver in it or is it just a name for the color?

Corky

The coin dealer has 5 gallon plastic buckets and such for 'junk' foreign coins which he sells for 8.50 per pound, which you can go through at will. I hadn't found anything really worth much, except for the last pound I bought.

A 1948 George VI half crown which weighs in at 13.7+- grams. I understand it is 50% silver... ?

Also, I got a $20.00 roll of halves yesterday and found one 1968 D Kennedy.

What is 'Hong Kong silver' circa 1978? Is there any silver in it or is it just a name for the color?

Corky

Corky, Great Britain stopped using silver in 1946... Half-crown (1902-1919) .925, Half-crown (1920-1946) .500 (EDIT)

Nice find on the Kennedy, I got $70 in rolls the other day found three silvers in the last roll.. all 1967 and 1968

I've been fooled by those damn British Hong Kong dollar coins a few times myself. But I don't know of any that have silver in them.

Edit

Found some Hong Kong coins with silver

- 5 cents (1866-1933) .800 .0349 oz ASW

- 10 cents (1866-1905 (might expand to 1933)) .800 .0698 oz ASW

- 20 cents (1902-1905 (might expand)) .800 .1397 oz ASW

- 50 cents (1902-1905 (might expand)) .800 .3492 oz ASW

I'll do some more research in a bit. I didn't cover any Asian countries in my booklet because so many fakes popping up nowadays. Russia also..etc

Corky, Great Britain stopped using silver in 1946... Half-crown (1902-1919) .925, Half-crown (1920-1946) .800

Now that just ain't fair! :ninja: That might be the reason the coins were in the bucket in the first place.

Oh well, guess these will go into the 'gotta get rid of them somehow bin'.

The 68 Kennedy is in very bad condition, so will put it in the bag with the rest of the scrap I have.

Thanks for your help on these! Much appreciated.

Corky

Oops.. made a typo!

Half crown (1920-1946) .500 NOT .800 :ninja:

Corky, not a problem. Hope you find something better next time. If it makes you feel better I couldn't remember the cut off point for silver in Canadian nickels and bought 10 of them (1930-1945) for 25 cents each with a big grin on my face. Thinking the cut off was 1946 for some reason.. when infact it was 1921 for nickels. Lol.. how quickly we learn.

I went to an antique silver show about two months ago. They wanted alot for antique silver pieces, but I did find a booth that had 3 Walking Liberty Halfs for $4.50 each. I bought them of course. I need to look up world silver also. Our fleamarket has a bin of world coins to. It's mostly neglected.

I went back to that same coin shop today. Pulled out some sterling and .500 silver Great Britain coinage. $0.25/ea (or 5 for $1.00)... again $8.50 worth

After I paid he told me he had some GB coins in a box in the back but they were all silver and selling at melt. So I ask to see them and look through them for a bit. Noticing some of the coins I just bought for $0.25 are in this "silver" box and at the same grade but for $5.00/ea

I shake my head and tell him I'll come back soon lol

I went back to that same coin shop today. Pulled out some sterling and .500 silver Great Britain coinage. $0.25/ea (or 5 for $1.00)... again $8.50 worth

After I paid he told me he had some GB coins in a box in the back but they were all silver and selling at melt. So I ask to see them and look through them for a bit. Noticing some of the coins I just bought for $0.25 are in this "silver" box and at the same grade but for $5.00/ea

I shake my head and tell him I'll come back soon lol

I save up all of the pre-Decimal silver I can and then sell it as bullion. Will list a fair amount tomorrow night on fleabay.

Archived