CoinPeople.com

Jersey coins

sandy3075

1/13th of a shilling? Seriously? I thought a shilling was equal to 12 pence. So was this worth 0.92 of a penny?

You can get all of the history of Jersey coins here http://jerseycoins.com/

I've got some better samples posted there too, like quite amaizing 1/48'th of a shilling. I have stalled at my early 1/26'th of a shilling mostly, didn't get even 10% of my Jersey scanned yet, I am barely managing to scan and post the new arrivals :ninja:

Jersey's coinage and that of Guernesey were unique, because they weren't quite French, nor quite English. Whilst Jersey did adopt larger vernacular coins, ie shilling, it's divisions thereof were different being that they were 1/52nd shilling, 1/26th shilling, 1/13th shilling etc. Meanwhile on Guernesey, they denominated their day to day coins in doubles, pronounced like doobles, so that a penny was actually 8 doubles, a farthing 2 doubles, halfpenny was 4 doubles etc. Threepence were 1/4 shilling in both places.

And BTW Sandy, nice colouring on the 1/13th, like it much.

I have been to Jersey dozens of times and I know of one coin shop, I bought many Jersey coins from the gentlemen. Made a change from hammereds, looks like I always need my fix of coins, even on holiday!

jersey1.jpg

Cheap yet very nice coins, think I'll stick to English and Irish hammered though... :ninja:

• 4 months later...

Another catch - Real nice 1/24'th for 1909, lots of red

950211.jpg

I'd say that the Krause pricing is out of line (among many other things) between 1/12'th and 1/24'th for this year. Half pennies were issued substantially smaller mintage of 120,000 and they are rarer to find than bigger coins.

• 4 months later...

Third and last of the 3 coins I recently got from the UK. This one is an 1844 1/13'th of a shilling. Krause provides a much smaller mintage then typical for the series however some authors, including H.K. Fear http://jerseycoins.com/pen13/mint_44/Mint_1844.htm

who quotes Royal Mint documents disputing Piedmore estimate of 27,000 and instead indicates that 145,000 was minted. I hold Harold an authority in Jersey coins so I am likely to consider this year more of an ordinary rather then rare. Although it looks nice on the scan, it is not as nice in real life, yet a very fine specimen.

937516.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

i dip into jersey when i can, not got anything truly exciting...

do have an 1894one that loos like the above... however the condition on the shield is around F unlike the monarch which is as VF

do have a very nice 1923 old type and 1933 in VF though

• 3 weeks later...

Here is mostl brownish but very lightly circulated, good extra fine KM-10, 1909 1/12'th of a shilling or penny, mintage is 180,000, one of the 2 jersey coins with Edward VII portrait. Interestingly the 1/24'th is a smaller mintage but is priced lower in Krause which I find amusing.

963446.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

There are two distinctive types of 1/13th shilling coins, the later ones are struck on a smaller flan than the earlier issuse to co-respond with the size of the circulating UK pennies. Nice coins all the same.

Archived