CoinPeople.com

List of when silver stopped circulating by country?

Breezy

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a list of countries with when they stopped issueing silver coins for circulation, or will I need to trawl through krause and make my own list?

I find it becomes difficult sometimes to know if a coin circulated or if it was only issued as a non-circulating commemorative.

Sometimes even mintage figures and grade is not a clear indication.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

It also "circulates" when people in the Netherlands or Germany for example get silver collector coins up at a bank, at face value, only to pick a few nice pieces for one's own collection and friends maybe, and then return the rest to the bank. :ninja: If anybody wants to hoard silver, fine with me, but I won't do it myself ...

Christian

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a list of countries with when they stopped issueing silver coins for circulation...

I have also been wondering about that forever. I'd hate to throw something into my ugly foreign coin box to sell at some point without knowing it was silver.

TG, after awhile you will acquire the touch, and be able to determine whether 'tis silver just by the look, the feel, and the sound if you roll it on a table. I can do that with cents, after a lot of sorting through them I can tell you whether they are bronze, copper plated zinc, or Canadians.

good question. I would think it would be around 1971 when the US went fiat and the rest of the world followed suit...the beginning of worldwide fiat junk money.

Maybe I'm wrong but I saw (and I picked up) in 1992 or 1993 one 200 forint silver coin from circulation in Hungary. Even here in Romania was a debate in 1990's for introduction silver coins in circulation as a try to stop the inflation. But the argument that the silver will be immediately hoarded prevailed and the idea remains only in project.

Maybe I'm wrong but I saw (and I picked up) in 1992 or 1993 one 200 forint silver coin from circulation in Hungary. Even here in Romania was a debate in 1990's for introduction silver coins in circulation as a try to stop the inflation. But the argument that the silver will be immediately hoarded prevailed and the idea remains only in project.

The interesting part of your comment is that Romania really tried hard to keep silver in the coinage back in 1945-47 when the Leu went south in value, so starting at 500 Lei, then on up to 1.000000 Lei silver coins were issued, now it makes since why they were made instead of going to all paper during an inflation. And going back a few years, a 500 Lei was one of the first non Ukrainian or USA coins that my daughter got for her collection, from our Romanian friend. :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived