CoinPeople.com

Bitkin CATALOG of RUSSIAN COINS 1699-1917

IlyaE

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This CD-s have very nice outlook. I am not 100% sure that this is pirate.

But earlier you said:

I bought scanned Bitkin cataloque on two CD from dealer in Estonia. Maybe it is not legal, but handy. Price was 65,-USD.

What has changed to make you think that copying and selling someone else's book might be legal?

And how on earth could a bunch of images of each page be "handy" to find the individual listing you want? It sounds awkward, even painful to me.

And why on earth would you pay more for some pirated CDs than what you claim you can buy the book for in Kiev ($50)?

That seems (at least, to me) like an especially foolish and frankly, unbelievable purchase decision.

This CD-s have very nice outlook. I am not 100% sure that this is pirate.

Tallinn: It's very easy. If it's legal (and it was you who suggested it might not be) you should be comfortable telling the name of the dealer who is selling these. I'm not asking for it. I don't want it. But if you are not prepared to do that, you have your answer.

Steve

Tallin, I can oficially say from Mr. Bitkin that there is no such thing as legal CD version of his catalog. So as no such thing as $50 for real book in Kiev (just for your information: dealers can get a catalog from Mr. Bitkin for $100 so it is impossible to sell it for $50). I've seen some pirate xerox copies of this catalog for $50 in Kiev and people that try to sell it say it is a real ones, but it is a lie. If you would know what a job it is to make such book you would never buy those "CD-s with very nice outlook".

Thanks a lot to all of you for support in this topic :ninja: It is very nice to see that people are against the piracy. In our country you hardly can see it because it is a usual thing for many to steal someone's work and use it. We try to take care of people that sell CD-s with this catalog over here but too bad we can't do anything with copies of books of other authors. It is discouraging to see some bozo selling it for $2 a piece (exact cost of pirate CD copy over here) when people spend 3-4 years to work on catalog.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi !

Last saturday i got my catalog from atikvarius store and the two volumes are really great ! ;)

Forget the "World coins catalog" - even the pictures from the coins are rather better in the Bitkin catalog.

The two volumes of the Bitkin Catalog 2003 are written in russian and english language, so it helps to use the catalog for people, who don´t know the cyrillic letters and the russian language as well.

It took about 18 days for delivering, but the books have passed the customs of course.

By the way the books are in an execellent shape, so the books have been manufactured in highest quality.

The only thing, what is not really defined:

Nobody says in the whole catalog, in which curreny the catalog has been written at the prices for the different coins - i guess the prices are US $ - are they :ninja: ?

Kind regards from Vienna

Michael

Last saturday i got my catalog from atikvarius store and the two volumes are really great ! :ninja:

I also purchased from Antikvarius. The books arrived FAST and the service was courteous and professional.

I would not hesitate to buy from him again.

Nobody says in the whole catalog, in which curreny the catalog has been written at the prices for the different coins - i guess the prices are US $ - are they?

I believe they are in USD. Prices are from 2003 & earlier, so are somewhat dated, but still valuable as a guide to relative rarity and values today.

This is a superb work that is an extremely valuable contribution to Russian numismatic literature. The fact that it is bilingual (Russian and English) makes it especially valuable to those of us who are not native Russian speakers. I cannot say enough good things about this book and I am thrilled to have added it to my library.

Glad you've got it finally, I was wondering about that. Usually it takes 7-10 days, but this time there was some delay probably with custom or postal service.

Prices in the catalog are in dollars, everybody have been using this currency worldwide 5 years ago, and that's why there is no mention about this subject. Too bad those prices are qiute old but still can be used in the sense of correlation.

Glad you've got it finally, I was wondering about that. Usually it takes 7-10 days, but this time there was some delay probably with custom or postal service.

Prices in the catalog are in dollars, everybody have been using this currency worldwide 5 years ago, and that's why there is no mention about this subject. Too bad those prices are qiute old but still can be used in the sense of correlation.

Thank you for the answer, i certainly thought that the prices are in US$ but i was not sure about it.

Well i will try to introduce the catalog at my webshop in the next couple of days, maybe it will be an interesting product for coin collectors in the european community.

You said, the prices are rather old (from 2003) - do you think, the prices generally are higher now, lower or at the same value ?

Kind regards,

Michael

You said, the prices are rather old (from 2003) - do you think, the prices generally are higher now, lower or at the same value ?

This catalog's valuations (or any other recent Russian catalog) were too low at the time the catalog was published. By now they are completely outdated, even if you assume the valuations are in Euro or even British Pounds.

This catalog's valuations (or any other recent Russian catalog) were too low at the time the catalog was published. By now they are completely outdated, even if you assume the valuations are in Euro or even British Pounds.

Aha !

So i resume, that i need some coin dealers in russian coins and of course auction houses to compare their prices with the prices in the Bitkin catalog to get the actual prices. Anyway - the Bitkin is a great and very useful catalog and it is a good base to see, which coins are really rare and which coins not.

Thank you for your help !

Kind regards,

Michael

Agreed.

Note that the rapid rise in prices makes any catalog obsolete before it is even printed. In many cases, especially for rarer coins which do not change hands on a daily basis, values often can only be estimated by judging what other similarly rare coins have brought in recent sales. Value is determined when the coin is actually sold and in the case of rare coins at auction, market demand might cause that value to substantially exceed well-informed estimates.

The value of the Bitkin catalog does not lie in having up-to-the-minute pricing information, because no catalog can deliver that.

Prices have been rising on a MONTHLY basis - no reason why they would be the same back in 2003. :ninja:

For example, a common 1818-ПС СПБ rouble, discussed HERE, is listed in Bitkin in UNC at $350, but the coin cited ("MS-63") just sold on ebay for slightly over $3000.

This huge difference in prices says nothing about the value of the Bitkin catalog, but says a lot about how rapidly prices in the Russian coin market are changing.

For example, a common 1818-ПС СПБ rouble, discussed HERE, is listed in Bitkin in UNC at $350, but the coin cited ("MS-63") just sold on ebay for slightly over $3000.

This huge difference in prices says nothing about the value of the Bitkin catalog, but says a lot about how rapidly prices in the Russian coin market are changing.

Well said, Grivna :ninja:

Bitkin will remain a valuable work for a long time.

Coin values from Petrov, Ilyin, etc are in use to this day by the major auction houses to denote relative rarity.

• 2 weeks later...
Glad to hear it. Thanks for good words!

I just ordered the Bitkin catalog from your store myself. I've had a ripped-off CD copy now for a couple of years ... very ashamed of myself! :ninja: Looking forward to receiving the real thing!

I just ordered the Bitkin catalog from your store myself. I've had a ripped-off CD copy now for a couple of years ... very ashamed of myself! ;) Looking forward to receiving the real thing!

You won't regret the purchase. It's a wonderful book and a bargain at the asking price. :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

Today I received the Bitkin reference books from Antiqvarius, both volumes as new in excellent condition! :ninja:

We do have a feedback forum here, so I went there and added my positive feedback for Antiqvarius. Would be nice if others who have bought from him also leave feedback; I started the thread for him, so you can just add to it.

Here is the link to the feedback forum:

Feedback Forum (http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?showforum=53)

Today I received the Bitkin reference books from Antiqvarius, both volumes as new in excellent condition! :ninja:

We do have a feedback forum here, so I went there and added my positive feedback for Antiqvarius. Would be nice if others who have bought from him also leave feedback; I started the thread for him, so you can just add to it.

Thanks for the link, Bobh. I never noticed this before. ;)

Thank you for the link, Bob. I didn't even know about this feature.

• 6 months later...
Thank you for the link, Bob. I didn't even know about this feature.

The catalogue «Summary Catalogue of Russian Medals. Granted Gold and Reward Medals for Carrying.1748-1917» by V. Bitkin was appeared in the publishing house «JUNA-COIN». 900 pages, 1500 illustrations. 2 Volumes.

Cost of the Catalogue is $ 230 taking into account postal charges.

On questions of acquisition appeal to the publishing house.

junacoin@gmail.com