CoinPeople.com

Any thoughts?

sysnik

Looks ok but I'll rather wait for Julian's opinion as there is a growing number of fakes popping up these days. He's the expert. :ninja: Welcome to coinpeople by the way.

I think I will dispute my ‘expert’ category as there are several readers of this forum with

expertise in various areas!

I have compared the reverse die to 2 known fake dies and neither was a match. The obverse

hub of Emperor Peter III, on the other hand, I am unable to match. (I looked at about 100 genuine

roubles of Peter III.) The reverse die on the website mentioned is not the same die.

The open sleeve above the letter C in the mintmark seems wide compared to most Peter III roubles

but some hubs are this way. However, those hubs with the wide sleeve have, as so far seen, a longer

hair queue behind the head while the narrow sleeves usually have the shorter queue.

There is just not enough information at present to be certain.

RWJ

Julian, thanks so much for your thorough analysis! Although a picture can tell only that much, your observations were very helpful.

I think I will dispute my ‘expert’ category as there are several readers of this forum with

expertise in various areas!

I have compared the reverse die to 2 known fake dies and neither was a match. The obverse

hub of Emperor Peter III, on the other hand, I am unable to match. (I looked at about 100 genuine

roubles of Peter III.) The reverse die on the website mentioned is not the same die.

The open sleeve above the letter C in the mintmark seems wide compared to most Peter III roubles

but some hubs are this way. However, those hubs with the wide sleeve have, as so far seen, a longer

hair queue behind the head while the narrow sleeves usually have the shorter queue.

There is just not enough information at present to be certain.

RWJ

Archived