CoinPeople.com

Silvered, Frederick the Great 1757, Fantastic

Fridericvs_Magnvs_1757_In.jpgFridericvs_Magnvs_Reverse_Help.jpg 943378.jpg This just arrived in the mail today, I just had to get it posted. Looks even better in the hand or in high res (did the best I could with the pictures, they are improving). I already have this medal in my Frederick the Great collection but could not resist this one, the heavy silvering has kept it in fantastic condition. Obverse Legend: FRIDERICVS MAGN. D.G.REX BORVSS. EL. BRAND. DVX SILES.

Reverse: FAMA PRVDENTIA VIRTVTE. Engraver Holtzhey In exergue: AVSTIR-EXERC- PROPE-PRAGEVNDIT-CAESOET-PRAGA OBSESSA VI MAJI MDCCLVII. Half-length bust right, rev Victory kicks Bohemia, knocking off her crown, 48mm (Olding 604a).

• 4 months later...
Fridericvs_Magnvs_1757_In.jpgFridericvs_Magnvs_Reverse_Help.jpg 943378.jpg This just arrived in the mail today, I just had to get it posted. Looks even better in the hand or in high res (did the best I could with the pictures, they are improving). I already have this medal in my Frederick the Great collection but could not resist this one, the heavy silvering has kept it in fantastic condition. Obverse Legend: FRIDERICVS MAGN. D.G.REX BORVSS. EL. BRAND. DVX SILES.

Reverse: FAMA PRVDENTIA VIRTVTE. Engraver Holtzhey In exergue: AVSTIR-EXERC- PROPE-PRAGEVNDIT-CAESOET-PRAGA OBSESSA VI MAJI MDCCLVII. Half-length bust right, rev Victory kicks Bohemia, knocking off her crown, 48mm (Olding 604a).

I have this same coin, but it's not silver. It's bronze I'm guessing. Do you know anything about it? Value?

Welcome to Coin People nice to "meet you". See This Previous Post. As to value it depends on condition (need pictures), if you watch medals on Ebay you can get some idea by what the medal has sold for previously. I also have this medal in bronze.

It commemorates the Battle of Prague 1757. There are many medals of Frederick the Great and his battles against the Holy Roman Empire, he refused to accept Maria Therasa as Empress, notice she is called Bohemia (as in Queen) on this medal. He was surrounded by enemies the Austro-Hungarians, France, Sweden and Russia. England supported him with money and some-times fought on his side (Part of their European Balance of Power strategy or keeping France occupied elsewhere!). If you want to learn more google: Frederick the Great, Salic Law, Pragmatic Sanction, Holy Roman Empire etc.

If you check my link to Omnicoin you will see some of my other Frederick the Great medals.

Again, nice to have you aboard, happy posting.

P.S. I checked what I paid for my medal over Ebay, it was $30.25 including post. But I would put a rough estimate between $20 to $50 on this type of medal, depending on condition, but have seen dealers asking up to $200.

Archived