CoinPeople.com

Russian Commemorative Coins

tqc2002

Hi all,

I'm new to collecting Russian coins, And I have just started collecting also Commemorative coins, Since I don't know much about the coins I would be glad if someone can help me with some questions about these coins:

* What are the types of Commemorative coins? I have mentioned in the title 1 2 3 5 and 10 but I'm not sure about that, If some one can inlight this for me I would appreciate it.

* What coin is from Russia and what is from USSR?

* How to collect them? reference and more..

* Where I can find information about these coins? Sets, Years rarity and more info?

* Where I can find Prices of these coins, and where one can buy them?

* Any other info would be great!

Thanks in advanced

TQ

I have already bought some 1 Roubles Commemorative and I don't know how to categorize them :ninja:

TQ, I'm way too busy on my assignment atm but I have the complete set of Soviet Commemorative nicupro coins in my omnicoin which you are free to take a look at. If I am not mistaken, there should be 64 rubles of the denomination 1, 3, 5 rubles that did circulate, 6 coins for the Barcelona Olympics (proof coins only), 2 bi metal coins that circulate briefly in the last year of the Soviet era and the smaller commemorative coins in 1967 which are 10, 15, 20, 50k making it a total of 76 coins to go. Wikipedia's article is ok as far as I see it atm: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commemorative...he_Soviet_Union

Good luck! :ninja:

Hi all,

I'm new to collecting Russian coins, And I have just started collecting also commemorial coins, Since I don't know much about the coins I would be glad if someone can help me with some questions about these coins:

Actually, most people use the word "commemorative" and not "commemorial" ... Although "memorial" is also OK, I believe there is no such word as "commemorial".

* What are the types of commemorial coins? I have mentioned in the title 1 2 3 5 and 10 but I'm not sure about that, If some one can inlight this for me I would appreciate it.

There are very many different denominations, especially for the modern issues. These usually correspond with the type of metal used; e.g. some of the lower denomination commemoratives were struck in copper-nickel proof, also silver, whereas the 50, 100 and 150 rouble coins are usually struck in gold or platinum. Palladium coins also exist. There are also very large silver proof commemoratives which have higher denominations somewhat corresponding to the larger amount of silver.

Most commemorative coins struck during the imperial Tsarist era had denominations of 1 rouble and were struck in silver. There were also coins struck in gold called "donative" coins, e.g. the 25 and 37-1/2 gold coins struck by Nicholas II. These were usually minted in very small numbers and given to visiting dignitaries as gifts by the Tsar, hence the term "donative". They are extremely rare and very expensive nowadays, although one sees these gold coins often in auctions.

* What coin is from Russia and what is from USSR?

The USSR ceased to exist in 1992. The first coins of the USSR were struck in 1923 or 1924, I believe. Before that was the RSFSR, which was the interim government established after the revolution in 1917. However, I believe there were no commemorative coins struck by the interim government.

Very many commemorative coins were issued during the Soviet era (USSR). After 1992 and the gradual breaking up of the Soviet empire, the Russian Federation was proclaimed. There are also very many commemoratives of this latest era. The Soviet commemoratives usually have the hammer and sickle motiv within a wreath of sheaves of grain as well as the legend "CCCP"; the post-1992 issues have one side with the double-headed eagle motiv with the inscription "БАНК РОССИИ" (Bank of Russia).

* How to collect them? reference and more..

If you are interested in Tsarist imperial commemoratives, you can find them in most standard reference works (Uzdenikov, Bitkin, Rylov/Sobolin, etc.), even in Krause-Mishler (KM). The modern commemoratives are also listed in KM, but there are so many of them that you might want to find some additional reference. I have some 3 rouble silver proofs from the later period. But I don't try to complete any series, I just buy them if I like the design. There are some spectacularly beautiful ones! And they are usually not too expensive. Imperial commemoratives are very expensive today, and there are lots of fake coins especially of those.

* Where I can find information about these coins? Sets, Years rarity and more info?

I don't know any specialty references for commemoratives, although I'm sure there must be some (probably written in Russian, though). As I already mentioned, Krause is OK for some people, but my edition stops at 2003. And for imperial issues, any standard reference will have rarity ratings. RW Julian's book "Russian Silver Coinage 1796-1917" has mintage numbers and rarity for commemorative silver coins, for example.

* Where I can find Prices of these coins, and where one can buy them?

Perhaps the Conros books would be good for these; I believe the prices listed there are the most up-to-date. Other than that, I really don't know.

Thank you very much for all your help - I am still trying to understand and internalize the info you have just informed me!

Thank you

gxseries - where I can find the 1 and 3 commemorative Roubles at your collection page - Under what, I was looking for them and could not find them :ninja: I have sent you mail with the coins that we talked about - Thanks

TQ

TQ, I just have too many coins in my collection.

First click here http://www.omnicoin.com/user_view.aspx?id=gxseries, under country, click Russia, and then click on Sort by year and the Soviet commemorative coins start from page 13 all the way to page 22, which is quite a lot to view. I would be shocked if you can't find anything there.

gxseries,

Thank you very much! I have found them I thought that there is nothing after 10 page that's why I stopped there and when you told me that there is page 13 and more After I swiched browser to the one at home I foud that there are little dots that indicates thee are more pages after 10 page :ninja: - I could not see them when I was on my computer at work.

Thank you - you have been a great help as always,

Regards,

Arie

Archived