CoinPeople.com

Opinion on Bald Eagle Commems

Kristofer

Specifically I'm asking about the silver ones. Do you believe they are minting so many that purchasing them isn't worth it in the investment aspect? I like the artwork on the silver and I like supporting the cause, but I'm not sure if $50.00 is a good idea from an investment aspect. Is this the kind of coin that you should buy to support the cause or for the beauty more than it's future value? If so, then I'll need to do more research as to how much goes to the American Eagle Foundation of Tennessee. As you all know I'm still pretty new so I'm not sure how far 500,000 commems will go, but from where I'm standing it sounds like that will more than fill the demand which leads me to believe that this isn't going to be the choice of investors. I imagine I'll be better suited finding some beautiful Carson Citys with my money, I'm addicted after getting the 1875 Seated Dime.

I bought the proof dollar coin because I liked it.

The proof is very nice looking, I think that was a good choice. And I think for the price differential it's a better buy.

They must have forecasted a higher demand for the proofs. is that normal procedure?

As a general rule commemoratives do not appreciate in value excessively. Probably due to the lower amount of commemorative collectors. However, some such coins look really nice and if the populace likes them, they do acquire a bit of value climbing. I like any with Eagles on them since they usually have great detail but I'm afraid to spend the money on them since I feel they will, like many others, just not go up in value.

As a general rule commemoratives do not appreciate in value excessively. Probably due to the lower amount of commemorative collectors. However, some such coins look really nice and if the populace likes them, they do acquire a bit of value climbing. I like any with Eagles on them since they usually have great detail but I'm afraid to spend the money on them since I feel they will, like many others, just not go up in value.

Yeah, that's where I get wary of them. I feel safe when I buy a Morgan or an ASE because there is always a market for them.

Frankly for my money I like your suggestion of a very nice Carson City coin. I think the dollars are a bit overrated in my opinion, but I like the minor coins, the dime, quarter, twenty cent piece, half, and really like the gold. Some of the gold is quite scarce, but still collectible because it is not as pricey as the rarity would typically dictate.

I don't care much for the US mints current products, the last I bought was the 2006 $1 San Francisco mint commem, which I promptly had to re-holder because the packaging sucked. Some bureaucrat decided to cut cost and skimp on packaging and materials and now you have flimsily packaged items more suited to some ex-Communist state.

Frankly for my money I like your suggestion of a very nice Carson City coin. I think the dollars are a bit overrated in my opinion, but I like the minor coins, the dime, quarter, twenty cent piece, half, and really like the gold. Some of the gold is quite scarce, but still collectible because it is not as pricey as the rarity would typically dictate.

I don't care much for the US mints current products, the last I bought was the 2006 $1 San Francisco mint commem, which I promptly had to re-holder because the packaging sucked. Some bureaucrat decided to cut cost and skimp on packaging and materials and now you have flimsily packaged items more suited to some ex-Communist state.

Yes, I must say that a lot of the new product coming out is lack luster. It feels uninspired like they were in a rush to get another money making product out there rather than pain stakingly designing it and putting their heart into expressing liberty in this beautiful country.

Yes, I must say that a lot of the new product coming out is lack luster. It feels uninspired like they were in a rush to get another money making product out there rather than pain stakingly designing it and putting their heart into expressing liberty in this beautiful country.

First, where did the $50 come from? I got two for $80, including shipping, has almost $19 silver made them raise the price?

Secondly, I think the coin is beautiful. I posted this picture before here but I guess it would be appropriate to post it again in support of a point.

baldeagleobv2.jpg

I agree that the Eagle Commem is a beautiful coin and I'll have one in my collection just because of that. I do not however expect it to appreciate in the near future. I'd be very hesitent to purchase any modern issue coin for investment purposes. The premium over silver and the surcharges usually keep commems out of the "profit" arena for a long time. (There are some exceptions and some were predictable such as the Marine Corps Commem.)

That picture does give a very fine representation!! That is beautiful. I say $50.00 because I believe the proof is 43.95 and I estimated shipping to be about $5.00 just because I've never ordered from the mint and I like to overestimate everything.

Archived