CoinPeople.com

Favorite/Least Favorite State Quarter Design

hiho

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got a couple of Oklahoma quarters in change in W. Palm Beach earlier in the week. Some of the above I have never seen in circulation, like the W. Virginia.

Same here. I've only seen one California quarter and that is the only one my dad found for his collection.

Same here. I've only seen one California quarter and that is the only one my dad found for his collection.

LOL. I bet he rubbed it in your face.

LOL. I bet he rubbed it in your face.

:ninja: Nope, not sure what kind of family you come from. Anyway, he needs a few more for his collection anyway. I'm hoping to find some eventually in rolls of quarters, but first I got to spend a few more dollars worth before I pick any more up.

Worst looking design:

STCO_small.jpg

Come on, Colorado. You guys have a gorgeous state, but why did you choose such a featureless mountain side? I'm not inspired at all by this design.

I completely disagree, but to each his own. I don't know anything about mountains; what makes this one featureless?

I completely disagree, but to each his own. I don't know anything about mountains; what makes this one featureless?

All I see are lines scraped across a "mountain" and a few trees in the foreground. It doesn't represent anything to me but an ugly mountain. Can't they do more than that? Every other state had a pretty distinguished or notable feature.

• 3 weeks later...
Worst: Vermont

Wyoming

Idaho

Alabama

Best: Alaska

Florida

Delaware

Nevada

Nebraska

Rhode Island

Washington

Virginia

Welcome to CP!

A few interesting choices you have there... Vermont? I thought it was OK. Nebraska? Is it bad I can't even remember what the design is? Oh yeah... that tower thingy.

Oh, and go White Sox! We beat the cubbies in the first spring training game between the two yesterday!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, yesterday every state quarter to date came though my letterbox (in fact, two of each). Totally unexpected! So now I can pass judgement!

Looking briefly though them the following grab my attention:

Tennessee

North Carolina

Ohio

Rhode Island

Indiana

Maine

Florida

Texas (though to be fair, it is incredibly shiny, the design is not particularly special :ninja:)

Oregon

Worst: California- but I am still bitter about the change.

Off the top of my head, I kinda like Minnesota still, even though it looks a bit like a loonie rip-off.

The Colorado design looks like Longs Peak, which I managed to hike up in 1980.

I live in California.

I bought a roll (40) of quarters for use in coin-operated washing machines and

received a roll of Oklahoma state quarters.

Just like in John Steinbeck's book The Grapes of Wrath

You should have made this a poll! :ninja:

Most of them are brilliant with very fascinating designs

Favourites = Maine, Minnesota, Nebraska & Oregon - I love the pastoral designs of these as they show America's greatest asset, its geography/ open country...

Really hard to decide as I would say these were all about the same quality of design..

But..

My favourite = Minnesota

rkshs9.jpg

Least favoured = WYOMING (boring!)

State outlines work better on some than others. Texas is one and New York. Its tough to show the Route of the Erie Canal with out a map of the state.

Sadly, my Statehood quarter (NY) draws considerable positive or negative air pressure, depending on which direction you're facing. Here's what I thought NY's quarter should have looked like:

http://www.quarterdesigns.com/proposed/newyork/saratoga.jpg

Jerry

Lurking for months; popped back in for a visit. :ninja:

saratoga_1_.jpg

Sadly, my Statehood quarter (NY) draws considerable positive or negative air pressure, depending on which direction you're facing. Here's what I thought NY's quarter should have looked like:

http://www.quarterdesigns.com/proposed/newyork/saratoga.jpg

Jerry

Lurking for months; popped back in for a visit. :ninja:

Welcome back Jerry. What part of NY are you from?

What I don't like about that design is that it could be from any one of the major colonies.

Unless I missed something in scanning/reading this thread, I haven't noticed anyone saying they like Arkansas the best...

Arkansas may not be my very favorite, but it is exceptionally nice. I think Helen Keller is a much better representation of pride than trees and birds and lakes, etc. She was a remarkable woman, with great determination and courage, and taught the world something we cannot do without, the ability to communicate. If I were deaf or blind I would certainly think of her as a real hero.

2. Virginia with the fully masted ships. It took a lot of very brave people to complete the long journey. (I am talking about every aspect, from the idea to the landing).

3. New Jersey with the crossing of the Delaware, a major turning point in the Revolution.

4. North Dakota bison, an extremely important resource for our Native Americans. When the bison disappeared so did many of the tribes, and our government just sat back and let it happen.

For the most part I am disappointed with the coins that do not really reflect the history of their state. Most of our states have contributed more to our country than birds or lakes or flowers and such. I think the artists should have studied the history of the state they were going to represent before they entered their designs. Maybe it should have been a requirement.

Just my humble opinion, again.

corky

P.S. I think there is hidden messages or pictures in the tree on the back of Connecticut... teehee.

I like the North Carolina Quarter it's the comemeration to aviation history that really hilights this coin in my opinion. The design chosen to represent the wright's plane is also excellent. It is also one of the most famous photographs of the wright's plane.

north_carolina_rev.jpg

This is my the one I can't seem to figure out.

060514-Hammer-Quarter.jpg

:ninja:

Archived