CoinPeople.com

Are You an American Numismatic Association member?

Kristofer

ANA  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Are you an ANA member?

• Yes, and there is huge benefit! Worth every penny!
    • Yes, but it hasn't done much for me.
    • Yes, and I wish I could get my money back.
    • No, but i've heard good things and intend on joining
    • No, I'm a former member and plan to join again
    • No, but I might.
    • No, and I don't plan on it.
    • No, I'm a former member and won't join again.

Okay, I tried to be as thorough as possible with the answers that way I can not only gauge how many people are members, but how they feel about the quality of the membership. I'm considering joining because it seems like there are a lot of benefits, but we all know that looks can be less than truthful... If you want to leave a response to elaborate on your answer feel free to. I think it will help many new numismatists with this decision.

I'm a member of the ANA and believe that the dues are well worth the benefits. For me the major pluses are the Numismatist and the Library. I read the Numismatist cover to cover every issue. It has lots of well done and interesting stories. I've used the Library quite a bit, in spurts, when I'm wanting to research something like ANA Convention Badges or obscure things where the info is not readily available to me. I've also ordered books that I was considering purchasing. Interestingly I've done this a number of times and each time after reading/perusing the books have decided against the purchase. Saved quite a few bucks that way.

I know there are a lot of "problems" that have plagued the ANA in the past and that the new Board is just beginning the recovery process. I hope that these would not hold anyone back from membership. I truly believe the folks running the organization at this time are leading in the right direction.

I'm a member of the ANA and believe that the dues are well worth the benefits. For me the major pluses are the Numismatist and the Library. I read the Numismatist cover to cover every issue. It has lots of well done and interesting stories. I've used the Library quite a bit, in spurts, when I'm wanting to research something like ANA Convention Badges or obscure things where the info is not readily available to me. I've also ordered books that I was considering purchasing. Interestingly I've done this a number of times and each time after reading/perusing the books have decided against the purchase. Saved quite a few bucks that way.

I know there are a lot of "problems" that have plagued the ANA in the past and that the new Board is just beginning the recovery process. I hope that these would not hold anyone back from membership. I truly believe the folks running the organization at this time are leading in the right direction.

What Art said...even including the not buying after checking out books portion. (Well, admittedly. in my case it is usually don't buy, not each time.)

"Are You an American Numismatic Association member?"

Nope, I'm a member of the BNS, British Numismatic Society.

Clive.

"Are You an American Numismatic Association member?"

Nope, I'm a member of the BNS, British Numismatic Society.

Clive.

I was waiting for one of these :ninja: I'm sorry to alienate

I'm a member. The library is nice, the conventions are good (though no membership required) and I love the exhibiting right now. The Numismatist doesn't do much for me these days. I wish they had been able to keep the journal going. Someday I hope to be able to make it to the summer seminar. Maybe in 2010.

I was waiting for one of these :ninja: I'm sorry to alienate

Not a problem Kristofer, this forum is primarily Americans so ANA is most likely going to be the favourite.

Would be a bit pointless me being a member of the ANA as I imagine it would be you joining the BNS die to distance and collecting interests.

Clive.

I've been a member since 1968 and value my membership. I've published multiple times in the Numismatist and the Journal, used the library, purchased supplies and books at discounts, attended the summer seminar, used slide sets and training materials for coin club activities, as well as attending the conventions. I do wish the Journal had survived, but 106 subscribers was not enough to keep it going. The Museum/Library/Headquarters is a wonderful asset in Colorado Springs and attracts events like FIDEM that bring the world to our country. I maintained my membership even through periods when I wasn't collecting.

I was a member long ago (when dinosaurs roamed the earth) as well as being a member of the SPMC.

My "No, but I might" choice seems to have split the majority vote.

NO. I really don't belong to a lot of things. I'm now a little to old to even want to start joining all sorts of clubs, organazations, etc. I don't want mail with coins, guns, knives, etc on the covers. I don't like any organazation or club that has access to my personal information. So in other words, NO.

Not American :ninja:

Same here. But I am not a member of any German or European numismatic association either, and have no intention to join any. Unless you count sites such as CoinPeople, or similar places focusing on Europe, as clubs/associations. ;)

Christian

Archived