CoinPeople.com

George II Half Guinea- valuation?

galator1975

In addition to the ‘George III Half Guinea’ gambling chips I have found (see previous post). I have also come across what appears to be a George II Half Guinea; I cannot get a picture until this coming Friday however this coin has a far more genuine and seemingly ‘valuable’ appearance than the tatty imitation ones I posted last week.

The coin is of similar size to the gambling chips however it appears to be real gold and is marked (I think) 1747. The condition is very good, the king’s portrait is still clearly visible and the text (front and back) is still very legible. Can anyone tell me anything about this coin? Thanks again for helping this clueless novice!

If you tell me the diameter of the coin I can tell you what it is or is meant to be.

I do not have the coin with me at the moment. I will be able to give you a full set of information and pictures on Friday afternoon.

It is of very similar size to the Half Guinea gambling tokens I mentioned in a previous post, its appearance in general is very similar to this 1759 coin I found on this link: http://www.ukcoinpics.co.uk/g2/hg/hg59.jpg.

However as I said I know very little about this so I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I do not have the coin with me at the moment. I will be able to give you a full set of information and pictures on Friday afternoon.

It is of very similar size to the Half Guinea gambling tokens I mentioned in a previous post, its appearance in general is very similar to this 1759 coin I found on this link: http://www.ukcoinpics.co.uk/g2/hg/hg59.jpg.

However as I said I know very little about this so I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

George II Half Guinea:

1728-1760 Gold 4.2 grams, 20mm Diameter.

I see. It appears this coin is more than just a gambler’s imitation. Are they worth anything?

If it is genuine yes, but it all depends on its date (rarity) and its condition. If you can take pictures of it and post them here then I may be able to help you further.

Okay. Well thanks again for your help. I cannot post pictures of the coin until I go back to the address where I am keeping it and that won’t be until Friday 15th. I am pretty sure the date is 1747; however this is just going from memory.

I don’t entirely understand the grading system however to me the coin seems to be in a good state (considering its age). Not quite as perfect as the linked 1759 example above however the condition is still very nice and details are still visible. However taking the ’59 example as 10/10 perfect I’d probably give my coin an 8 or even a 9.

I will give you an update (with pictures) as soon as possible.

Going by the details of the picture I would say the coin appears to be genuine. However the colour doesn't look right. It appears to be bronze coloured in the pictures as apposed to gold, but I assume its just the pictures and looks like gold in hand?

Is it 25mm or 20mm's in diameter?

If its 20mm and 4.2grams It would be a half guinea.

P.S. nice coin.

Hus

Thanks for the confirmation of identity. I have since measured the coin and it is 20mm exactly making it a half guinea as I originally expected.

I have no realistic way of confirming the mass of the coin; everyday household scales aren’t really designed for determining tiny masses such as this.

As for the colouring I can confirm it comes across more gold in real life than it does from the picture, my camera failed to establish a good white balance setting for the images and as a result all of the colours are quite off. The same goes for any black speckles you can see in the image, they’re just dust that has accumulated on the CCD. I can post some better pictures if you feel it would help make a final confirmation.

I’ve recently looked through an old stash of pre decimal coins; generally I can see they are of little value. Most are hugely worn pennies from the reigns of recent monarchs however I was drawn to this one as it appeared to be gold, is in very good condition and finally was considerably older than the rest.

It depends what type of coin, for example Spink over-price Cartwheel pennies and twopences in respect of the "real-world" whereas they appear to under-price some of the late Anglo-Saxon pennies. I don't collect George II coins nor do I collect many gold coins but if you were to place this in an English auction house's auction I could see it reaching about £350-£400/$700-$800.

Clive.

Well I don’t really have much interest in coins (except nice legal tender ones I can spend directly) and so now I know it to be of some value I may well sell it as despite its shiny appearance it’s not really bringing me a great deal of joy sitting in the bottom of a biscuit tin. However if I were to sell it I’d only blow the money almost immediately on camera equipment I don’t really need so perhaps selling it isn’t really the most sensible move. I guess for now I’ll hang onto it for a bit.

Archived