CoinPeople.com

"Deutsch Kiautschou Gebiet"

ElleKitty

940531.jpg

Kiau Chau (German Colony of China) 1909 Y#2. You can see the lines on the Imperial Eagle's feathers.. buried in a bag I paid $25.00 for. O.o

The coinage of Kiaochou is restricted to two pieces thereby making it one of the least prolific fields from which numismatists may collect. Copper nickel coins of twenty-five percent nickel and seventy-five percent copper alloy were struck at the Berlin mint in Germany under the direction of Kaiser Wilhelm's mint-masters. These coins of five and ten cents denominations are all dated 1909 and bear on their obverse a German spread eagle with the inscription "Deutsch Kiautschou Gebiet" (German Kiaochou Territory) above and the date "1909"below. The coins'value appears to the left and right of the eagle. The reverse of these coins contain the Chinese inscription "Ta Der Guo Bao"(Germany's Currency) within an inner circle, and "Kiautschou, Ching Tao" (Kiaochou, Tsingtao) which appears in the border. The diameter of the five cent piece is 19mm, while that of the ten cent coin is 22mm. Mintage was restricted to 610,000 five cent and 670,000 ten cent pieces. The value of these coins was calculated on the basis of 100 cents being equal to one Mexican Silver Dollar. The Germans made these coins the sole legal tender coinage of the colony, forcing the Chinese to use them to the exclusion of the Chinese coins circulating elsewhere.

Imagine, Tsingtao is known for brewing beer. :ninja:

A crazy dealer who had just spent 3 1/2 hours going through someone's estate and was totally brain dead...

who knew I love World coins...

and the shop mostly focuses on US Coins, although lately all they do is buy buy buy while those of us who want to buy themselves have to wait. ^^;

Included in the same bag was a lot of silver content coins, an 1822 William IIII farthing in fine/very fine condition, a bronze of Constantine the Great, a Victorian Hong Kong cent, an Australian 1910 sixpence in aUNC, two Estato Chihuahua 1/4 real copper pieces, and a whole bunch more that I haven't even started to catalog or sort. I've just got them piled into countries for now.

It makes Tsingtao all that more interesting. I'm indulging my collecting habit every time I tip one back!

Like all of imperial Germany's overseas territories, this did not last very long. :ninja: Kiautschou was a "protectorate" of the German Reich for about 15 years, until 1914 when Japanese forces occupied it. Interestingly the city of Kiautschou (Jiaozhou) was not part of Kiautschou - the main city in the protectorate was Tsingtau (Qingdao). I have one of those coins too ... but sure had to pay more for mine.

Christian

Archived