CoinPeople.com

Finnish €2 Commem 2008

tabbs

Finland plans to issue a new commemorative €2 coin this year. According to the Finnish Mint's presentation at the World Money Fair in Berlin, the theme will be "Veterans of War 1808-2008". This coin will probably be issued in early October.

Christian

• 3 weeks later...
Uhh, are they trying to piss off the neighbours? ;) Seems like a controversial theme to do in a currency union.

"And with this years €2 we remember Ted "Butcher" Badasz who came to your country and ate all your babies" ;)

Ok not quite, but still! :ninja:

Utter nonsense. Veterans in all countries served their countries well and cannot be condemned for the actions of their political leaders. Germany's last WWI veteran passed away about a month ago, he was the last surviving veteran in Germany from that war, this is a sad occasion. Similarly in France their last WWI veteran passed away recently and the USA and Canada are down to one surviving veteran each. I believe honourably serving veterans do not get nearly the recognition they deserve and are later on condemned for the actions of their political leaders.

Utter nonsense. Veterans in all countries served their countries well and cannot be condemned for the actions of their political leaders.

This may be a popular attitude in the US and some other countries but not necessarily everywhere. Such a "no matter what he did, he was just following instructions" way of thinking is particularly problematic when it comes to totalitarian regimes.

As for this coin, well, admittedly I am not quite sure what "Veterans of War 1808-2008" actually means. I had thought of the Swedish-Russian war of 1808-09, thus some kind of bicentennial commemorative. But it might as well refer to all Finnish veterans who have fought since 1808, when Finland became autonomous, until now. We will see.

Interestingly, next year Sweden will issue a circulating commem about the separation of Sweden and Finland in 1809. http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?showtopic=18660 Same war, different perspective. :ninja:

Christian

• 2 months later...

Hmm, I am confused. :ninja: According to the latest news from the rumor mill, this year's €2 commem from Finland will be dedicated to the 60th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Several other euro countries (Belgium, Italy, Portugal) will also issue €2 pieces on that occasion.

So the Veterans of War coin might have been canceled, or it may (see the Swedish coin) be issued in 2009. We'll see ...

Christian

• 4 weeks later...

And here we go. :ninja: "The Ministry of Finance will mint a commemorative coin to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Altogether 1,500,000 coins will be issued."

http://www.vm.fi/vm/en/03_press_releases_a...Twoeur/name.jsp

Attached to the press release is a picture of the design. Attention, large image ...

http://www.vm.fi/vm/en/03_press_releases_a...ik_60v_2_08.jpg

Christian

• 5 months later...

Yes, this coin was finally released a few weeks ago. I picked up a couple of extras that I will put up for trade. It's not a bad looking coin, although the text (HUMAN RIGHTS) I find a bit difficult to discern. Perhaps that was the intent?

I like the design from what I've seen. Should be a nice coin to have. My 2 Euro collection has died but could be resurrected in the near future.

Archived