CoinPeople.com

Russian coin site....molotok.ru

jroc

I have been looking for a 5 rouble piece like this for some time. I had won one of these only to be ripped off on eBay. Does anyone have any experience with this site. I am curious if this site is a bad as eBay....rip offs...fraud, etc.....Thanks

http://molotok.ru/item304567621__5_rublej_...tiem.html#photo

5 рублей 1798 СМ ФЦ !!! RARE! но с отверстием

I have been looking for a 5 rouble piece like this for some time. I had won one of these only to be ripped off on eBay. Does anyone have any experience with this site. I am curious if this site is a bad as eBay....rip offs...fraud, etc.....Thanks

http://molotok.ru/item304567621__5_rublej_...tiem.html#photo

5 рублей 1798 СМ ФЦ !!! RARE! но с отверстием

Since it is illegal according to Russian laws to export any coins from Russia older than 1945 (I think this is the correct date??), even if it is genuine, you will probably have problems receiving it. I'm not sure that it is even possible to bid from outside of Russia. Maybe someone else knows more, though.

Since it is illegal according to Russian laws to export any coins from Russia older than 1945 (I think this is the correct date??), even if it is genuine, you will probably have problems receiving it. I'm not sure that it is even possible to bid from outside of Russia. Maybe someone else knows more, though.

Yes, it's illegal. I wouldn't (and do not) go anywhere near anything located inside Russia. Who are you going to complain to when the coin never shows up and your money is gone? These days I wouldn't take my chances with ebay either, which is sad, but if you have to then go with ebay. Forget molotok.

Steve

Any way - that one is a obvious fake.

IMHO.

:ninja:

It is illegal to ship coins dated before a certain date, not sure what the year is anymore though. But I have traded coins with a collector there and got coins dated back into the reign of Petr I from there :ninja:, several of the coins in my Nikolai II type set came from Russia. I know a couple of sellers on Molotok.Ru that sell mainly British coins, will have to ask.

Yes, it's illegal. I wouldn't (and do not) go anywhere near anything located inside Russia. Who are you going to complain to when the coin never shows up and your money is gone? These days I wouldn't take my chances with ebay either, which is sad, but if you have to then go with ebay. Forget molotok.

Steve

Forget molotok and ebay. Instead, buy from knowledgeable dealers who have worked hard to earn a good reputation and who care passionately about maintaining it.

Good coins from good sellers do show up on ebay, but there's far too many traps for the unwary or the novice buyer there. In my opinion, buying on ebay is like playing in a minefield - easy enough to do, but probably not a good idea.

Forget molotok and ebay. Instead, buy from knowledgeable dealers who have worked hard to earn a good reputation and who care passionately about maintaining it.

Good coins from good sellers do show up on ebay, but there's far too many traps for the unwary or the novice buyer there. In my opinion, buying on ebay is like playing in a minefield - easy enough to do, but probably not a good idea.

Well said, Grivna! :ninja:

I got a response on the export question, the law forbids export of any item over 50 years old without a license. This particular law was enacted in 1995, where the 1945 date came up, but now it would apply to anything before 1959. My correspondent replies that he will not ship out coins overseas, because he fears that customs is watching lots of sellers there, and has heard stories of people running afoul of the regulations. Any coins coming out now are contraband, or more likely fakes.

Any coins coming out now are contraband, or more likely fakes.

If you look at it from the point of view of a seller in Russia, selling genuine coins outside Russia is not only very risky, but likely to result in a lower price than can be obtained by selling inside Russia (which is where the strongest buyers seem to be these days).

If you did decide to sell to people outside Russia, exporting fakes is unlikely to land you in prison and there seems to be no shortage of buyers for such items in online auctions.

If one puts moral considerations aside, it's not a hard choice to make.

Archived