CoinPeople.com

2007 d Washington Quarter

corkykile

Okay, maybe I am seeing things (again).

The obverse of this coin has a strangely shaped shiny background image with the mintmark nearly obliterated, and it looks eerily like the fish flopped on the obverse side before it made its final flop on the flip side.

Does anyone else see this?

Corky

It is hard too tell, but it looks like a struck through to me.

I'll have to check that out.

It doesn't make sense the shiny spots nearly erased the mintmark and didn't do anything to all the other lettering.

In other words, could the mintmark have been stamped first and the other details added... I thought these coins were made with a single strike/squeeze method.

Guess there are some secrets we are not suppose to know.

Corky

I'd be more concerned it the fish acutally had a fishy odor.

If it is a kind of stamped through it has nothing to do with faded mint marks. Lots of coins have different degrees of faded mint marks, many in the 2000 and up have almost lost the last number. Mostly these errors are not to expensive and even noticed. Error collectors usually purchase such lesser known errors for a few dollars at coin shows.

I'd be more concerned it the fish acutally had a fishy odor.

Thanks Just Carl,

If it did have a fishy odor I would not have gone near it. Am highly allergic to fish and seafood.

Yet, I think it is kind of interesting, no matter what my giggle meter says, I am going to keep it in my Washington anomaly file.

Corky

Archived