CoinPeople.com

2008 Bald Eagle $5 gold coin.

schutzenfester

I have search extensively but can't find the specifics of the $5 gold Bald Eagle coin. Does anyone know it's actual gold content? It's weight? And the gold content of the coin? Is it .900 or 999?

I did find this on an obscure site but can't confirm what the writer states and it also does not answer all my questions.

"The Five Dollar Proof Gold Coin "Pre-Issue" order cost $294.95 each - it has a weight of 8.359 grams nominal - this translates to .295 ounces and at the price of gold today at $909.00 per ounce this piece is worth $268.15, and it is a coin of known gold content - with the additional value of the mintage being limited."

Thanks

All non-bullion issues are minted according to the old gold standard pegged at $20.67 per ounce, so a $5 gold piece has 0.241875 oz of pure gold in it, so at the recent price of $914 per ounce it has about $221 melt value. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply Nightwing. I went to your post and see that AGW is just less than 1/4 ounce troy.

To answer your question, yes, I have ordered the proof 3 piece set and received confirmation from the mint for a mid Feb delivery.

Thanks again

Your info was helpful indeed :ninja:

Archived