CoinPeople.com

1738 SPB/MMD interesting

BKB

Do not remember if I asked about it on this forum. Did anyone ever come across this coin (SPB portrait w/out mint mark and Moscow eagle) with a date this wide?

1738arfo2.jpg

GM XII-2 does not match exactly, but is the closest I see.

Is this coin yours?

GM XII-2 does not match exactly, but is the closest I see.

Is this coin yours?

It is my coin. I think you wanted to say Xiii-2. That coin is a regular SPB/SPB w/out a mintmark. There is, however, Bitkin2. #231 which is a "regular" SPB/MMD rated at R1. The date on that coin is a close date. I cannot find any reference listing this coin with a wide date.

I wonder, the 1730 wide date is thought to be a pattern, but appears in references a bit more often... :ninja:

It is my coin. I think you wanted to say Xiii-2.

You are correct. That is what I meant, but not what I typed.

That coin is a regular SPB/SPB w/out a mintmark. There is, however, Bitkin2. #231 which is a "regular" SPB/MMD rated at R1. The date on that coin is a close date. I cannot find any reference listing this coin with a wide date.

I wonder, the 1730 wide date is thought to be a pattern, but appears in references a bit more often... :ninja:

I'm out of my depth here. I am more of a type collector than a variety collector, so have not studied die differences as closely as some other collectors have. ;)

I might have seen a similar coin in the past, but if I did, then I do not remember it.

Is it possible that SPB hubs might have been sent to MMD and used there? It seems to me that, in the 18th century, Moscow die-makers were not always as skilled as those at SPB.

Is it possible that SPB hubs might have been sent to MMD and used there? It seems to me that, in the 18th century, Moscow die-makers were not always as skilled as those at SPB.

Actually, it was the other way around. 1738 is supposedly the year when SPB reopened. According to one of the imperial decrees published by GM in the Corpus -- 1/2 of workers and 1/2 of the instrument then located on MMD were to be sent to St.Petersburg to commence the operation of the SPB. Zander has a chapter on this in his Rubles and Yefimoks book. The "regular" SPB/MMD no mint mark veriety is listed in Bitkin and some other catalogs. While it is pretty rare, it is a known coin.

However, to my knowledge, no other ruble of 1738, MMD or SPB, has a wide date. Moreover, I cannot find any reference of the SPB/MMD of this die variety.

Archived