CoinPeople.com

Chinese wire money!?

alexbq2

I think you are being painfully cruel here. Not all Chinese sellers are crooks although 99+% are and I would like to believe that he's one of the honest ones.

Having surfed through quite a few of his auctions, I don't see anything the sends the red flags fluttering. He has a great feedback record, and seems to but this stuff from Europe. I have bought numismatic items both in China, and from China and never had problems. I saw quite a few fakes in China, but I also found dealers that did not even bother with fakes, and only went for good stuff. When I was in Guangzhou I even bought a couple of gold coins.

Im no expert on wire money, but this looks like most that i have seen. rotate the reverse image 90 cw (or tilt your head) the lettering looks ok.

My Bad :ninja: I was looking at it sideways.

But I still can't make out the inscription. Possibly something about Pskov? Doesn't make much sense to me at the moment.

The same seller has this item:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=110185325110

It strikes me as a painted lead cast.

I think all of you that doubt the genuiness of this particular wire denga should at first compare the coin to the right original, which is illustrated in the book of Василий Зайцев, Русские монеты времени Ивана III и Василия III, page 188, ill. nr 155b and 155v. Indeed the denga is from Pskov, but struck in the time of Vasili III (1505-33).

I think all of you that doubt the genuiness of this particular wire denga should at first compare the coin to the right original, which is illustrated in the book of Василий Зайцев, Русские монеты времени Ивана III и Василия III, page 188, ill. nr 155b and 155v. Indeed the denga is from Pskov, but struck in the time of Vasili III (1505-33).

Thank you for this, Nordic Gold.

For the benefit of those who, like me, do not own this book, would you please post a scan of the relevant pictures on that page if you are able to do so? :ninja:

I do own this book, but I was looking at the coin sideways and seeing windings:) Like I said - my bad!

Did you buy this coin then?