CoinPeople.com

Shipping from US to Russia

worldcoinguy

Hi all,

I have not posted on this forum for a long time. I was wondering if I might be able to solicit some guidance on shipping coins to Russia from the US. I recently sold some coins on eBay and I need to ship to a seller deep in the heart of Russia. My questions are as follows:

1). What is my most secure method of sending to Russia? Is it the USPS registered mail or fedex? The problem I understand with registered mail is that it only guarantees the package to the time it leaves the US, and it receives no special handling once it hits Russia.

2). It is technically legal to import coins INTO Russia? I see on the fedex website that it explicitly prohibits the import of coins into Russia. If this is true, how are all the Russia collectors receiving their coins from US, Germany, etc? Here is the link in question: http://www.fedex.com/us/international/irc/...e.html?gtmcc=us

3). Any advice on what I should write on the customs forms that I have to fill out when I send it from the US?

4). Do Russia customs people actually physically open the packages?

Many thanks for the feedback!

Brent

Hi all,

I have not posted on this forum for a long time. I was wondering if I might be able to solicit some guidance on shipping coins to Russia from the US. I recently sold some coins on eBay and I need to ship to a seller deep in the heart of Russia. My questions are as follows:

1). What is my most secure method of sending to Russia? Is it the USPS registered mail or fedex? The problem I understand with registered mail is that it only guarantees the package to the time it leaves the US, and it receives no special handling once it hits Russia.

2). It is technically legal to import coins INTO Russia? I see on the fedex website that it explicitly prohibits the import of coins into Russia. If this is true, how are all the Russia collectors receiving their coins from US, Germany, etc? Here is the link in question: http://www.fedex.com/us/international/irc/...e.html?gtmcc=us

3). Any advice on what I should write on the customs forms that I have to fill out when I send it from the US?

Brent

1. It is high possibility USPS or Fedex or UPS will not accept your letter with coins

2. I think it is illegal because it is illegal to send coins even inside Russia

3. It is better write "It is a gift" and it should be priced not more than US $100 (but it SHOULD be priced or costums will price it by themselves) otherwise recipient will pay taxes on costums and it could be very long procedure

4. Yes they could like any other costums. For example my bag was opened by costums in Frankfurt, Germany and I realized it only when I was in other country (I found letter from costums in my bag)

Hallo!

Hi all,

Secure method is only one - USPS registered and very carefull packadge, few pieces of cardboard, buble's list...

FEDEX isn't a better way because of our custom's law... it will take much more time and money for clearence..

Special handling for registered mail - is a filling form of recipient - that is better than nothing.

Yup that is absolutely legal - for coins out of circulation - only currency can't be send - by Russian laws.

Mark it as numismatical item - and make a price "for custom" lower 400 USD - better way is invoice inside the packg with totall summ about 200-250 usd

Brent

Only when suspend smth illegal in Your mail's

And once more hints - dont send gold coins to Russia - just believe me...

Regards

I mailed quite a few older USA coins to a collector in Russia a few years ago, he and I traded for awhile. I mailed them exactly as he said to, even cutting out holes in cardboard to insert the coins into, then covering them up with the cardboard cutout, and tape. Other than the usual slowness delays because of the post office, we never had problems with the coins getting to either Siberia or here. Of course the coins were always mailed registered, labeled as Numismatic items and a value declared.

Archived