CoinPeople.com

2007 Shattered Die Dime.

I'm curious, I have several 2007-P dimes with die breaks and other markings in similar spots of your much more dramatic error, I wonder if they are from the same obv. die?

vfox.... can you take close up pics of them???

That would be great, brother dimes on the same forum!! :ninja:;)

Someone else has one similar to your coin as well.

http://forums.wheresgeorge.com/showthread.php?t=101326

I found the post that I had for the dimes I was talking about, and I don't think the are the same. The laminations and cuds are in different spots.

http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?showtopic=15717

That first one looks like it could be from the same die.

Appx how often do dies catastrophically end their time like this? e.g. how often do they break apart without getting caught ahead of time?

I don't think they are from the same die, but it suggests a similar failure and perhaps a set of dies with similar production flaws?

Dude, I found one in my pocket change about 6 weeks ago. =)

Picture26.jpg

Here's all the pictures of it: http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/selbsame/dime/

Oh yeah, one of them sold recently for $220.00 U.S. =)

I want to sell dimes for $220.00 :ninja:

I have $220.00 dime selling envy.

Lol, Kristopher. Ima not sellin' this, definitely keeping it. Coolest thing I've ever found by happenstance, other than the occasional steel or wheatie. Funny thing is, I didn't visually inspect the coins, I noticed it by jingling the change in my pocket & feeling the ridge across the obverse. Too bad coins are binned en-masse when being minted, because it would be nice to come across a whole roll. =D Nice site, btw.

Yours looks to be from the same die as Matt's although I can't tell from the angle if the break through IN GOD WE TRUST is as pronounced. The two would make a neat start on a roll.

Lol, Kristopher. Ima not sellin' this, definitely keeping it. Coolest thing I've ever found by happenstance, other than the occasional steel or wheatie. Funny thing is, I didn't visually inspect the coins, I noticed it by jingling the change in my pocket & feeling the ridge across the obverse. Too bad coins are binned en-masse when being minted, because it would be nice to come across a whole roll. =D Nice site, btw.

Oh, thank you very much. Yeah, a whole roll would be quite a find, but then that would create an error monopoly :/ Uht oh, politics in coins.

BTW, comparing the breaks, it looks like they came from the same die, because all of the really bad breaks are on both, then it looks like Lost Dutchmans may have been struck a little bit after this one, like the die was progressively getting worse:

Picture26.jpg

20avq86.jpg

So, that's 4 we know of... I wonder (ballpark) how many were made. Also, how many is average once it's cracked before a die shatters? Does the size/denomination matter in die longevity once it starts to fracture or is noticed & the press is stopped? Anybody? =)

Just goes to show how truly small our worlds is, lol. 4 of them in the same forum.

Archived