CoinPeople.com

1796-AM pyatak...

bobh

I find it interesting how many of these are fakes or have to be disputed if they are fakes - here is one I got recently off ebay and posted about a week ago on CoinCommunity.

What are your thoughts about this one?

Thanks for providing such nice images! This one feels like a cast copy to me. How is the edge?

Steve

It has a crossy sort of x-pattern, I am not expert trust me. Sap posted on CC about it being a Swedish fake produced at the

same time (comtemporary fake)

Ah. No. The Swedish (Avesta) fakes are another matter entirely. They are easily recognizable and only carry the dates 1764, 1778, and 1787. They're very rare and very expensive. This is not one of them.

Steve

Thanks for providing such nice images! This one feels like a cast copy to me. How is the edge?

Steve

Now why would anyone bother to fake such a common date? :ninja:

Now why would anyone bother to fake such a common date? :ninja:

A good question that I've been asking myself lately!! I've seen several EM fakes from the 1790s recently that have the tell-tale ring around the edge. I've also seen two identical fake 1793EM 5K overstrikes that had the edge smoothed away completely to hide the join.

I don't why they'd fake the more common coins...practice? People will be less inclined to check if it's common? Maybe. But we are seeing them these days. Check those edges ;)

Steve

Steve, in my opinion, I do believe it's cleaned and definately double struck - about 10 degrees ish. I would be VERY troubled to believe if it's actually a counterfeit but let's see the edge. :ninja:

You're probably right ;) . The double striking may have altered the definition and details of the wreath leaves for example, and I'm probably overly sensitive after the recent batch of EM fakes. Still, I'd also like to see the edge.

Steve

I find it interesting how many of these are fakes or have to be disputed if they are fakes - here is one I got recently off ebay and posted about a week ago on CoinCommunity.

6jm1npi.jpg

6ks54de.jpg

What are your thoughts about this one?

Hi, I have been collecting the large Russian copper coins for 30 years. I also have seen cast fakes. This coin seems to be genuine. I would not hesitate to bid on it. What makes you think that it is fake? Please let us see the edge of the coin, as others asked you already. Thank you, Sigi

P.S.: bobh, I think the coin you posted was also OK

To me this coin looks as original as can be.

It even has a slanting edge in places which as far as I know never is present in the cast copies but is a typical charasteristics in some of the originals.

The edge ring in the cast copies goes round the whole coin and is located more or less in the middle - no such thing here.

In the edge pattern there can be noticed some remains of cleaning powder. It seems the coin has sometime ago been cleaned, but fortunately only very slightly.

I am in no way an expert, which probably explains why I don't see anything suspect about this coin. Could you please elaborate?

Thanks for the great pictures! Your coin is absolutely OK, genuine. It is double struck, i.e. the coin was not ejected before the system hit again. The traces of the 1st strike are evident. Keep on - buy more of these, it's fun (but take care - you may get addicted as I am). Regards, Sigi

Thanks for the great pictures! Your coin is absolutely OK, genuine. It is double struck, i.e. the coin was not ejected before the system hit again. The traces of the 1st strike are evident. Keep on - buy more of these, it's fun (but take care - you may get addicted as I am). Regards, Sigi

Is this a common thing for coins of this era? And how much do you think it would be worth?

Is this a common thing for coins of this era? And how much do you think it would be worth?

Double strikes occurred frequently. Most collectors would however prefer a specimen struck just once as it looks more esthetic. A matter of taste.

The type of coin is quite common. The date 1790 and the E.M. mint are not scarce. I'd value this one between $20 - $50 ....

You know much depends on who is watching and competing at eBay. :ninja:

Archived