CoinPeople.com

Info on 1938 Jefferson "token"

Capt-AWACS

http://www.omnicoin.com/coin_view.aspx?id=889456

I'd like to find some more info on this piece. DOes anyone have more info or know of some links/books on it. Is it a copy (looks like 2002?) of a pattern or something?

Thanks in advance for any words.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,

Capt-AWACS, Remember the Alamo

I remember a thread on this piece in the old CP. I do not recall all the details about this one, but I believe it was a restrike of one of the possible designs for the new nickel way back when. I think it was the designer's original intent for the coin, but then had to redesign it.

(I wonder where Pilgrim is.)

This is the original award winning design that Felix Schlag submitted for the Jefferson Nickel in 1938. The coin is presented by, and for sale in limited quantities by, Darrell Crane, president of the Full Step Nickel Club, in conjunction with Ron Landis, master die engraver of the Gallery Mint Museum, and S.E.G.S..

Check out this web site, Variety Nickels, for more information. (Scroll to the bottom of the page and you'll see it.)

Actually, you can find more information here: Felix Schlag Nickel - Kelley's Coins

And for a really detailed look: The Felix Schlag Story

:ninja: