CoinPeople.com

Circulation Finds 2008

SMS

I know we have a number of roll searching threads here over the years, but why not one more? :ninja:

Tell us all about your finds from roll searching, bulk bag searching, pocket change, metal detecting, or where ever else you come across interesting coins. Let's not flood the thread with a bunch of pictures. We can always start a new thread in the appropriate "specialized" forum for that stuff. Kind of like sending everyone on a treasure hunt to see our new interesting finds for 2008! (And getting more involvement in the specialized forums like "U.S. Copper" and "Errors/varieties")

Now let's see what new and exciting finds 2008 will bring us!

I finished my first $50 bag of U.S. cents last week. Had a few nicely toned cents that I have sent back to be rerolled. Eight Canadian cents were found, but they were all common Elizabeth II's, no Georges this time. Surprisingly, that was only 1/5 of 1% Canadian finds. Usually, I would find at least one Canadian coin per every other roll. There were only 5 wheaties in the whole lot. They were a 1934, 1941, 1946, and (2) 1956D cents. Not really much by way of "common" finds. But a few of the rest of the finds were quite interesting.

The first coin to drop out of the lot was a pitted 1902 IHC!!! Now this was a VERY big surprise since I cannot even remember the last time I had seen an IHC from a circulation search.

The last coin I picked up and looked at was even more interesting. One of the cherrypicks I casually look for are the possibility of 1969S DDO's. Now, the Lincoln cent series from 1968 through 1970 are notorious for MDD's. A DDO find in any of those years would be extremely rare. Well, a quick glance at this particular 1969S cent appeared to have heavy doubling on "LIBERTY", as well as what appeared to be a "doubling" on the bow tie, much like the 1984 DDO. Look in the Error/variety forum for a diagnosis of what "really" happened with this coin.

There was a slightly off-centered (barely 5%) 1994D cent. I'm keeping it "just because" :ninja:

I also glance at 1972 cents also ;) I found a nice "LIBFRTY" cent. I'll expound on that one in the Errors/varieties forum as well.

Finally, there was what I'll call a "Floating Memorial Roof" cent (1969S). Again, errors/varieties ;)

Okay, I'll admit it... toning Lincolns by cleaning them with boiling water and baking soda is probably not a good idea... although, I have gotten some really nice looking Lincolns out of the pot.

A few days ago I started all over again checking out my hoard of Lincolns. I was surprised to find a very nicely toned 1961D-1MM-003, Coneca RPM#039, D/D/D/ S.E. and tilted, Wexler: WRPM-039 (take your pick).

Problem? Yep. It is so dark that I cannot get a good picture of it. :ninja:

Yes, I know it is a fairly common error for the era, but this is the only one I have. And it is mine, all mine.

So far that is my major find for 2008.

By the way, everyone, what is a good and profitable way of disposing of well circulated copper Lincolns? Not to mention the half ton of uncirculated coppers that are so bad I won't put them in my own or my grandkids albums.

Corky

By the way, everyone, what is a good and profitable way of disposing of well circulated copper Lincolns? Not to mention the half ton of uncirculated coppers that are so bad I won't put them in my own or my grandkids albums.

put 'em back into circulation? it will make someone's day ...

Okay, I'll admit it... toning Lincolns by cleaning them with boiling water and baking soda is probably not a good idea... although, I have gotten some really nice looking Lincolns out of the pot.

Drano and hot water is actually better. The hydrogen will reduce and copper oxides without harming the metal. But you should only do that if you are an adult, wear safety goggles gloves, and go outside.

I was going through some uncleaned ancients. I gave my oldest son some Whitman folders and the change jar to look at cents. He found not one but two 1910 Lincolns (one a beat up Fine, the other a nice VF). Also a 1957-D. Then one of the nickels turned out to be a 1929. It would grade F+ with the old standards, probably slab VF30 these days.

But three wheats and a buffalo is pretty amazing. I don't think I've pulled more than a handful of Buffalos in my whole life.

Finished 30 rolls today of Half Dollars. Had about half and half from Block & Co. and SAE (Security Armored Express). Had a pleasant surprise in one of the Block rolls. Checking edges, I saw a completely smooth cupro-nickel edge. Looked and I got me a VF 1967 Dominican Republic medio-peso! There was also a 40% Kennedy in the rest of the Block rolls. The SAE rolls produced a dozen 40% Kennedys. Not a bad run on Kennedys today!

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up 2 rolls of halves today from my bank. The teller had to go the vault to get them. I was so excited because I can't recall if I've ever held a half dollar in the palm of my hand! I have one in a proof set, but that's protected in plastic. Quite a different sound they make than the other circulating coins! Anyway my first roll was almost half full of bicentennial halves. The second roll had maybe 3-4 of the bicentennial half. I guess the bicentennial half is less rare than the bicentennial quarter? I didn't get anything earlier than 1971 and my latest half was a 2000. I need to double check (or you folks can just tell me :ninja: ), but I don't think in this range of years I should have any silver.

• 2 weeks later...

I got 2 rolls of halves today from my bank along with some new Monroe dollars. Last time I hit the jackpot with the a number of bicentennial halves, but this time nothing. It's OK because I did find a few more coins for the books I recently started.

Now, what to do with the rest....well I may save some, but will most likely start spending those along with my dollar coins.