CoinPeople.com

The 1908 ten roubles "coin" is back on eBay!

bobh

The reverse die is clearly not the same but the obverse is not certain.

RWJ

The picture of the edge is the same as the one on the web site referred to in the older auction ... mintmaster Apollon Grasgov. The other coin had Felix Zaleman on the edge, if that was indeed a true picture of the "coin" in question.

Of course, neither mintmaster is correct for 1908 (should be Elikum Babayants).

I truely believe this is a different "fake". But I know I have read that rare book...sewn into the cover" before. Must have been a hell of a book.....

The seller of the 1908 "coin" previously offered on e-bay, lucianoalan, had given a link to:

http://www.imperialrussia.com/goldcoins/19...0goldruble.html

to show another known "1908 10 roubles" in existence. That is where the story of the rare book etc... comes from and all the photos match the current listing.

Notice who the new e-bay seller is.

Now please tell me that these two sellers do not know each other and are completely innocent of all wrongdoing.

The seller of the 1908 "coin" previously offered on e-bay, lucianoalan, had given a link to:

to show another known "1908 10 roubles" in existence. That is where the story of the rare book etc... comes from and all the photos match the current listing.

Now please tell me that these two sellers do not know each other and are completely innocent of all wrongdoing.

Thanks.......I thought I was going nuts with the book story....

Yep ... if you go the "Me" page, that web site is prominently advertised. It's him/them, alright.

=========================

"WHOIS" lookup for "imperialrussia.com":

=========================

Whois Server Version 2.0

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered

with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net

for detailed information.

Domain Name: IMPERIALRUSSIA.COM

Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.

Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com

Referral URL: http://www.networksolutions.com

Name Server: NS23.WORLDNIC.COM

Name Server: NS24.WORLDNIC.COM

Updated Date: 08-may-2007

Creation Date: 25-jun-2006

Expiration Date: 25-jun-2009

>>> Last update of whois database: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 15:00:28 UTC <<<

NOTICE: The expiration date displayed in this record is the date the

registrar's sponsorship of the domain name registration in the registry is

currently set to expire. This date does not necessarily reflect the expiration

date of the domain name registrant's agreement with the sponsoring

registrar. Users may consult the sponsoring registrar's Whois database to

view the registrar's reported date of ex

TERMS OF USE: You are not authorized to access or query our Whois

database through the use of electronic processes that are high-volume and

automated except as reasonably necessary to register domain names or

modify existing registrations; the Data in VeriSign Global Registry

Services' ("VeriSign") Whois database is provided by VeriSign for

information purposes only, and to assist persons in obtaining information

about or related to a domain name registration record. VeriSign does not

guarantee its accuracy. By submitting a Whois query, you agree to abide

by the following terms of use: You agree that you may use this Data only

for lawful purposes and that under no circumstances will you use this Data

to: (1) allow, enable, or otherwise support the transmission of mass

unsolicited, commercial advertising or solicitations via e-mail, telephone,

or facsimile; or (2) enable high volume, automated, electronic processes

that apply to VeriSign (orrepackaging, dissemination or other use of this Data is expressly

prohibited without the prior written consent of VeriSign. You agree not to

use electronic processes that are automated and high-volume to access or

query the Whois database except as reasonably necessary to register

domain names or modify existing registrations. VeriSign reserves the right

to restrict your access to the Whois database in its sole discretion to ensure

operational stability. VeriSign may restrict or terminate your access to the

Whois database for failure to abide by these terms of use. VeriSign

reserves the right to modify these terms at any time.

The Registry database contains ONLY .COM, .NET, .EDU domains and

Registrars.NOTICE AND TERMS OF USE: You are not authorized to access or query our WHOIS

database through the use of high-volume, automated, electronic processes. The

Data in Network Solutions' WHOIS database is provided by Network Solutions for information

purposes only, and to assist persons in obtaining information about or related

to a domain name registration record. Network Solutions does not guarantee its accuracy.

By submitting a WHOIS query, you agree to abide by the following terms of use:

You agree that you may use this Data only for lawful purposes and that under no

circumstances will you use this Data to: (1) allow, enable, or otherwise support

the transmission of mass unsolicited, commercial advertising or solicitations

via e-mail, telephone, or facsimile; or (2) enable high volume, automated,

electronic processes that apply to Network Solutions (or its computer systems). The

compilation, repackaging, dissemination or other use of this Data is expressly

prohibited without the prior written consent of Network Solutions. You agree not to use

high-volume, automated, electronic processes to access or query the WHOIS

database. Network Solutions reserves the right to terminate your access to the WHOIS

database in its sole discretion, including without limitation, for excessive

querying of the WHOIS database or for failure to otherwise abide by this poNetwork Solutions reserves the right to modify these terms at any time.

Get a FREE domain name registration, transfer, or renewal with any annual hosting package

- or just $8.95 with monthly packages.

http://www.networksolutions.com

Visit AboutUs.org for more information about IMPERIALRUSSIA.COM

<a href="http://www.aboutus.org/IMPERIALRUSSIA.COM">AboutUs: IMPERIALRUSSIA.COM </a>

Registrant:

Bard Consulting Co.

ATTN: IMPERIALRUSSIA.COM

c/o Network Solutions

P.O. Box 447

Herndon, VA. 20172-0447

Domain Name: IMPERIALRUSSIA.COM

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Promote your business to millions of viewers for only $1 a month

Learn how you can get an Enhanced Business Listing here for your domain name.

Learn more at http://www.NetworkSolutions.com/

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:

Bard Consulting Co. uv7xv8ek7y9@networksolutionsprivateregistration.com

ATTN: IMPERIALRUSSIA.COM

c/o Network Solutions

P.O. Box 447

Herndon, VA 20172-0447

570-708-8780

Record expires on 25-Jun-2009.

Record created on 25-Jun-2006.

Database last updated on 20-Jan-2008 10:01:09 EST.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS23.WORLDNIC.COM 205.178.190.12

NS24.WORLDNIC.COM 205.178.189.12

This listing is a Network Solutions Private Registration. Mail

correspondence to this address must be sent via USPS Express Mail™ or

USPS Certified Mail®; all other mail will not be processed. Be sure to

include the registrant's domain name in the address.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

Let me start by saying that I am by far a 'coin guy'. I've always enjoyed them and certainly keep my eyes peeled for the elusive 'diamond in the rough'. Which, brings me to reply to this thread. I live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. As far as I am aware, I was the first to post this coin on E-bay. Here's how the TRUE story went.

The coin was posted on a local free website for posting and selling stuff. (this was back in late 2005). I just happened to check the site for latest ads posted and there was an ad for this gold coin. Again, not knowing coins, I thought for $50.00 CDN, I couldn't go wrong buying gold of this size. I arranged to go over to his place to buy the coin. It was him that told me he had bought a box of books at an Auction in Kingston, Ontario. When going through the box, there was an old Russian bible, in rough shape. He found the coin sen in the cover. Is this true? I dunno, but he seemed legit. Much like myself he was a buyer and seller. Anyway, I bought the coin. I was big into selling on e-bay so I tried to search the value of this 1908 10 rouble coin. For abvious reasons, I couldn't find anything. There were similar Roubles going for around 100-150 US. With the US dollar about 30 points greater than the Canuck buck, I decided to post it. Literally, and within the first 10 minutes, I was inindated with e-mails from people. The majority were simply saying it's a fake, but there were 3 that wanted confirmation of certain things on the coin. I had to send more pics to confirm ther coin did say 1908. Now at this time I'm nervous, for 2 reasons.

First - what have I done? Did I just post a coin on e-bay with a starting bid of 50.00 and no reserve that could literally be a 'one of a kind'? Did I finally find my 'diamond in the rough' and let it slip away?

Secondly - I was afraid that I was going to be dubbed as violating some e-bay policy by posting a counterfeit coin?

So, I did two things. I first brought the coin to a guy I know who is a jeweler. He confirmed it was in fact gold. I then brought it to a local coin dealer. Before I showed him, I said 'hey...I have a 1908 gold rouble' how much is it worth? Before I could get the question out, he said I didn't because they didn't strike any in 1908. I told him the story of the bible. He proposed this to me as an explanation. A) It's a counterfeit...but to his point, why would anyone counterfeit a coin for a year when none were made? Logically, it made sense to me. He then said to picture the working conditions in Russia in the early 1900's. Lighting was poor as were conditions. He suggested that maybe it was 1903 and they were setting up the die to strike the coin. With poor lighting, the guy grabs the 8 instead of the 3. The coin gets struck and only then realize their mistake. To avoid getting into trouble, the guy hides it in his bible. Again, it sounded possible.

Now, I don't know how much of what I was told was truth, but what I've told you is the 100% truth of the way it happened. Right after talking to the coin guy, I added this info as a possible reason for the coin being a 1908. In the end, I sold it to the highest bidder for $454.00 US. Good profit for paying only $50.00. The felow I sold it to has had it posted with virtually the same details I gave him and I gave you here today.

Anyway, I just happened across this blog and thought I would throw it out there. So is the general concensus that this is for certain 100% bogus?

Thanks for listening

He proposed this to me as an explanation. A) It's a counterfeit...but to his point, why would anyone counterfeit a coin for a year when none were made?

Counterfeiters are not always careful and sometimes make careless mistakes.

He then said to picture the working conditions in Russia in the early 1900's. Lighting was poor as were conditions. He suggested that maybe it was 1903 and they were setting up the die to strike the coin. With poor lighting, the guy grabs the 8 instead of the 3. The coin gets struck and only then realize their mistake. To avoid getting into trouble, the guy hides it in his bible. Again, it sounded possible.

It sounds highly improbable to me. Dies can be repunched to correct errors and this is a trivial matter.

Stealing gold coins from the Imperial Mint would result in far more serious trouble than a die-punching error.

Now, I don't know how much of what I was told was truth, but what I've told you is the 100% truth of the way it happened. Right after talking to the coin guy, I added this info as a possible reason for the coin being a 1908. In the end, I sold it to the highest bidder for $454.00 US. Good profit for paying only $50.00. The felow I sold it to has had it posted with virtually the same details I gave him and I gave you here today.

Anyway, I just happened across this blog and thought I would throw it out there. So is the general concensus that this is for certain 100% bogus?

Thanks for listening

The coin is not consistent with dies used at the mint. Wherever this thing was made, it was almost certainly in someone's basement and not in the Russian mint.

It is about as real as the unicorn is.

BTW, welcome to coinpeople.

I first brought the coin to a guy I know who is a jeweler. He confirmed it was in fact gold.

I am guessing that it is probably just gold-plated. Did he weigh the coin? I would be interested to know what it weighs. Also, was it 22K or merely 12K or something else?

As to the rest of the story, it should be obvious to anyone who is serious about collecting that it is a fantasy coin and as such of no interest at all. However, it seems that everyone who sells this is trying to pass it off as a genuine product of the Russian Imperial mint, which it isn't by any stretch of the imagination. Why not put it up on eBay as a souvenir piece or copy? That would be the honest thing to do.

Counterfeiters are not always careful and sometimes make careless mistakes.

It sounds highly improbable to me. Dies can be repunched to correct errors and this is a trivial matter.

Stealing gold coins from the Imperial Mint would result in far more serious trouble than a die-punching error.

The coin is not consistent with dies used at the mint. Wherever this thing was made, it was almost certainly in someone's basement and not in the Russian mint.

It is about as real as the unicorn is.

BTW, welcome to coinpeople.

Thanks for the welcome to this site. Very informative.

Archived