CoinPeople.com

EU: "Choose the design of the new euro coin"

tabbs

i missed out ... but since i dont' have a current e.u. address it wouldn't have worked out anyway.

i agree that #2 is a fine design with something else ... the australians had a AUD0.50 coin some years ago that was in a similar style (KM 257), but with more design elements ...

i would have voted for #5 also.

Scotland is part of the EU, we ARE the UK. ;)

Do the English know about that? :ninja:

As for the design contest, in some European forums a few people asked why, in a euro coin design vote, people from non-euro countries can vote at all. Well, the problem was Slovakia: The country may well join Euroland on 1 January 2009 (will be decided later this year), and in that case it will be among the countries issuing this coin. So it made sense to let people in SK vote too. Then again you can't say, let them participate, and at the same time "exclude" people from other EU-but-not-euro countries.

Ah, well, see it the positive way: Not having voted for one of these ho-hum designs is nothing that you should make you angry or sad. And if design #5 wins (which I hope), then you are still in the "winning camp". ;)

Christian

Do the English know about that? :ninja:

Actually, the pessimists from England now claim that we run everything. ;) Since a large number of Scottish Labour MP's vote on domestic English policies while Scottish domestic policies are handled in a separate parliament. It means that labour can effectively force though legalisation on England using votes from Scotland. A situation which is wrong.

As for the design contest, in some European forums a few people asked why, in a euro coin design vote, people from non-euro countries can vote at all. Well, the problem was Slovakia: The country may well join Euroland on 1 January 2009 (will be decided later this year), and in that case it will be among the countries issuing this coin. So it made sense to let people in SK vote too. Then again you can't say, let them participate, and at the same time "exclude" people from other EU-but-not-euro countries.

Ah, well, see it the positive way: Not having voted for one of these ho-hum designs is nothing that you should make you angry or sad. And if design #5 wins (which I hope), then you are still in the "winning camp". ;)

Christian

I think it should be open to all EU citizens, after all, with the exception of the UK and Denmark (mabey Sweden) every other EU country HAS to join the Euro as soon as it is possible. Plus there are those of us in the UK that want the Euro.

Actually, the pessimists from England now claim that we run everything. :ninja: Since a large number of Scottish Labour MP's vote on domestic English policies while Scottish domestic policies are handled in a separate parliament. It means that labour can effectively force though legalisation on England using votes from Scotland. A situation which is wrong.

I believe that since the SNP cannot get it together and garner the votes necessary for an effective devolution, perhaps England should take the precedent and strike out on her own.

The SNP have always abstained from English only policy votes, and have argued for England to have its own parliament. Yet many people still continue to call them an "Anti-English" party. The reality is the SNP as pro-England as they are Pro-Scotland.

In any case, if there was another Scottish election tomorrow I put money on it that SNP would gain 8 seats. They where projected to have 8 more than they actually got, and many of those seats where only hundreds away from taking (huge swings to them). The media spend the two days before the election telling everyone how awful and damaging an SNP government in Scotland would be. In reality we are doing great and SNP support in the opinion polls has never been higher. The people now see what a pack of rubbish it all was.

Alex Salmond even offered the other party's the chance of another election, and they turned it down because they all know they have more risk of loosing seats than gaining them. :ninja:

We have a winner ...

result_schema.jpg

http://www.eurodesigncontest.eu/images/result_schema.jpg

Seems that design #2 got quite a few votes in the last couple of days. The artist of the winning design is Georgios Stamatopoulos who also designed the Greek €1 and €2 circulation coins. The second best (with regard to the number of votes) was designed by Helmut Andexlinger (Austrian Mint). About 140,000 people participated in the euro design vote. So this will be the coin:

image11296.jpg

The words "Issuing Country" and "E.M.U." will of course be adapted. Oh well, I am not exactly happy about the outcome, but then again, so far I have not even been able to vote in any euro design contest ...

Christian

Nooooohhh well, at least it was my second choice. :ninja:

Seems that #2 may have won primarily due to some kind of chain mail campaign. A few days before the voting ended, quite a few e-mail messages circulated in Greece, and forum messages were posted, about that design being "from a greek person so all greeks should support him" etc. Here http://www.fatsimare.net/profile/forum/viewtopic.php?p=79458 is an example of a post that even mentions the artist's name - even though the names were not supposed to be reveiled until the end of the contest. And with a total of only 141,675 votes cast, such a campaign may actually have been successful ...

Christian

I guess it would have been something like that, to cause such a sway. ;)

Most of the top 5 issues in the UK's on-line petition system are things that are entirely made up, and then chain mailed around. Just shows what a bunch of gullible idiots people are here.

Still, I cant help but think he took all of 5 seconds to design that coin :ninja:

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a nice visualization (not mine) of the design. I still don't like this "stickman" style but, well ...

2euro2009b.jpg

left: design from the European Commission's website / right: the actual coin, or rather what it will probably look like

Christian

Do the English know about that? ;)

Christian

What?!?!? England are part of the EU? First I've heard...

:ninja:

Most of us English folk know we are but, unfortunately, many won't admit it! I like the idea of a European Community but not that play-school designed Euro coin... ;)

Clive.

that play-school designed Euro coin... :ninja:

You're not alone. Hard to tell whether that design would have won without that "Vote Greek" campaign (see post #34), but it seems we are stuck with it. By the way, Lolo posted an updated version of his visualization, with "EMU" in German ("WWU") and an added mintmark; see image above. Still, I wonder how many people know what that abbreviation actually means ...

Christian

Well, I will certainly get one of these, as I basically collect all coins that are legal tender in the entire currency union. Also, I don't care about what passport a coin designer has, but I may well skip €2 pieces that I find too expensive. (Monaco!) What I may do in this case, however, is limit my "type based" collection to just one of the common 2009 issues, instead of getting all 15 (or 16) versions. People who collect all German mintmarks would have to get even 19 or 20 ... nah, not me.

Order preferences for 2009 noted. :ninja:

Christian

• 2 months later...

As for the German version of this coin, the Federal Ministery of Finance has just published some details about the issue.

http://www.bundesfinanzministerium.de/nn_5...0521__PM21.html

zwei__euro__muenze__richtext,property=default.jpg

So yes, instead of "EMU" it will say "WWU". As far as I can tell, hardly anybody in Germany is familiar with that abbreviation. The text should have said "Wirtschafts- und Währungsunion" IMO or, if you want/need an abbreviation, "EWWU" at least. Oh well, this will not be the first "mystery coin" in history. :ninja:

The date of issue will be 1 Jan 2009. Since that is a holiday, the pieces will actually be issued as from Friday 2 January ...

Christian

Archived