CoinPeople.com

EU: "Choose the design of the new euro coin"

tabbs

Next year the euro countries will issue a common €2 commemorative coin for the tenth anniversary of the introduction of the common currency. And for the first time people in all member states can vote for their favorite design.

In a few days the pre-selected designs will be on display at the EU website, and between 31 January and 22 February, you can say which one you like best ... and even win a set of collector coins. More information is here: http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/themat...cle11072_en.htm

Why 2009? Well, 1999 is when the euro was introduced, turning the national currencies into "sub-units" of the new currency. The cash came later, but this piece commemorates € Day on 1-Jan-99. The coins will have a common design but, like last year's Treaty of Rome commems, also have member state specific elements. All 15 EU member states that are in the euro area will participate; this way the issue does not count regarding the "one commem per year" limit.

Christian

Yes, looks good - I like that one much better than his "wreath" design. But I assume that the trend towards having only the Stars of Europe (arranged like on the flag) on the coin ring will continue. Personally I prefer more balanced designs over those that are "busy" in the center and have an almost empty ring, but ... :ninja:

Frizio has made quite a few attractive designs. Problem is, most mints have a "pool" of artists, primarily from the issuing country, who are invited to participate in design competitions. And at least here in Germany, a coin designer who wants to be in that pool needs to know how to make a coin design the "classic" way. So the artist has to be familiar with making a plaster model, for example.

It would have been neat if this design competition had been open wide, so that anybody, whether a pro or not, could have submitted design ideas. But that would have been an immense amount of work, I think.

Christian

• 2 weeks later...

This is the website where you can now vote for your favorite design:

http://www.eurodesigncontest.eu/

Note that you need to enter your name and address; seems that is the only way to verify that you vote only once and are a EU citizen or resident. Frankly, I am not exactly overwhelmed by any of the designs. Plus (or rather minus), it seems there is no way to get an enlarged view. Oops, my mistake - see further below.

Christian

I may register with one of our €U members addresses, then win :ninja:

Hmm, maybe you still have some Scottish address you can use? After all, it's not limited to people in the euro area - even those in peripheral member states ;) can vote. Oh, and as for the enlarged view, well, it works but only on the first page (with the question marks), not when you see the small versions. Duh.

My preferred design (as in the one-eyed among the blind ...) is #5. The first one looks too plain, the second is nice (childish/archaic) but not as the only graphic element of a coin side. Number 3 and 4 combine the euro symbol and the Roman numeral 10 in a way that IMO suggests "ex" ;) ... and the fifth one, with the ten little guys, is OK.

Christian

I might use my Dusseldorf address. I don't consider Scotland to be a part of the €U, only Great Britain is.

Well, the UK is part of the EU, for whichever reason, but does not have anything to do with an "€U". ;) And as for which address you will use ... I take it you are not interested in getting the Hamburg €2 piece then which I plan to pick up tomorrow. :ninja:

Christian

Good question. :ninja: Of course, if an IP address check tells them that Joe Shmoe "from" Luxembourg actually voted from the US, that vote could be ignored. Now whether they actually do all that only to make sure that only EUropeans can vote ...

Christian

Good question. :ninja: Of course, if an IP address check tells them that Joe Shmoe "from" Luxembourg actually voted from the US, that vote could be ignored. Now whether they actually do all that only to make sure that only EUropeans can vote ...

Christian

Several of the states in the USA had voting for their state quarters, and tried to make it look like only state residents could vote. But I voted for the Alaska and the Oregon quarters. Unless you block whole IP ranges, or block people that can mask them, limiting is only as good as the programme that allegedly does it.

Ah, I got my e-mail confirmation and clicked the link. Thus my vote has now been registered. Oh, and then you get to see the current results:

#1: 10%

#2: 33%

#3: 15%

#4: 11%

#5: 33%

Three more weeks ...

Christian

• 3 weeks later...
i like the second design, that old-kind one

i voted for it, too

Voting ends today, and according to what Gerhard Schön (the catalog author) posted to some German coin forums, design #2 is currently ahead. The winning design will officially be announced on Monday.

Christian

I have voted for n. 5

Yes, me too. And yesterday I asked various people to vote as this would be the last chance and otherwise #2 might win yadda yadda. (None of the five is very exciting, but #5 is still the best, I think.) Hope they all voted, and made the right decision :ninja:

Christian

Archived