CoinPeople.com

Counterfeit NGC Holders!

IlyaE

IlyaE, thank you for posting this article.

I know that everyone always says "buy the coin, not the slab", but for people like me, who do not yet have the expertise to detect a fake (although with all the help here, I am definitely getting better ;) ), buying a slabbed coin has been somewhat of a security blanket. There is no 100% guarantee that all slabbed coins are genuine, but a great majority are, and I find them a good point of reference.

I guess it was just a matter of time for someone to manufacture fake slabs. I find it amusing that having gone to all that trouble, one of the things the counterfeiters tripped up on was spelling :ninja:

So now, in addition to everything else, we have to worry about counterfeit coins in counterfeit slabs? ;)

But I guess it's all par for the course. With the rising prices, the increasing sophistication of fakes, the complete lack of scruples of some sellers on e-bay and elsewhere, the removal of a convenient crutch becomes just one more thing we have to adjust to. ;)

I guess it was just a matter of time for someone to manufacture fake slabs. I find it amusing that having gone to all that trouble, one of the things the counterfeitters tripped up on was spelling :ninja:

I wonder if the slab was done in China? I have some DVDs which I bought from a seller in Hong Kong, and there are many spelling errors in the English cover text, including obvious ones in the titles which anyone who speaks a language written with Latin (or even Cyrillic or Greek) characters would catch. Substituting "R" for "K" in "Knowledge", for example, just because the letters look similar. Even someone with a rudimentary rnowledge of English would have caught that... ;)

I wonder if the slab was done in China? I have some DVDs which I bought from a seller in Hong Kong, and there are many spelling errors in the English cover text, including obvious ones in the titles which anyone who speaks a language written with Latin (or even Cyrillic or Greek) characters would catch. Substituting "R" for "K" in "Knowledge", for example, just because the letters look similar. Even someone with a rudimentary rnowledge of English would have caught that.

I think you are correct that the fake slabs are another product of China. One hopes that NGC

will publish the source in due course.

RWJ

I think you are correct that the fake slabs are another product of China. One hopes that NGC

RWJ

The source, in my opinion, is much less important than the "we're-just-a-venue" enabler.

RWJ

What also makes me believe that they must come from China is the otherwise high quality of the fake slab. These were definitely not done in someone's basement, but somewhere where there is access to sophisticated manufacturing equipment.

What also makes me believe that they must come from China is the otherwise high quality of the fake slab. These were definitely not done in someone's basement, but somewhere where there is access to sophisticated manufacturing equipment.

But they cannot with all the technical innovations, overcome the usage of Chinglish. :ninja: It is funny when you travel in China and see so much Chinglish, there is even an official campaign to teach proper English because of the bad publicity it causes. And a westerner cannot go practically anywhere without crowds forming around them, usually teenage girls wanting to practice their English. I am glad I did not take our now 12.5 year old son with us, or we would have lost him!

Well, I would not be 100% sure on the source. Even though China is most likely the source of the "NGC slabs", I wanted just to point out that the technology used to produce NGC slabs is not that sofisticated at all. Just look at a slab. Looks pretty simple , doesn't it?

So, anyone with access to the plastic production can actually reproduce these slabs.

Also, I have noticed that NGC slabs (opposite to PCGS and ANACS) can be opened and then resealed back the way that you would never notice that.

I believe that the best way to fight the "fake-makers" is to improve these holders with security protective measures.

Best regards,

It's great that NGC are publishing details of how to spot a fake slab, but isn't this procedure also giving the fake slabbers information on what to correct?

These fake slabbers seem to have an eye for detail, so much so that “label information matches the coin type enclosed. The label information is copied from actual NGC certification labels, and the certification information therefore will match the NGC database.”

Hus

Archived