CoinPeople.com

A few errors

Tane

Here are some interesting errors I've found across the years I've been collecting. Nothing extraordinary, but still pretty nice I think :ninja:

3 Kopecks 1911, plain edge:

112.JPG

113.JPG

I love this one, found it in a small lot of copper coins a couple of years ago.

Magnetic 15 Kopecks 1932:

116.JPG

- too much nickel in the alloy perhaps?

Sorry for the blurry photo, my hand wasn't steady enough after all

...and finally plain edge 50 Roubles 1993 LMD. And its not magnetic!

115.JPG

114.JPG

Nice ones, Tane! :ninja:

I have been wondering about plain edge coins in general. In Switzerland, the 2 Franc coin has a reeded edge. Once I found one (circulated, VF grade) with a smooth edge. Since I knew that there are rare Russian varieties with a smooth edge, I took the Swiss coin to a local dealer for his opinion. He thinks that it might have had the reeds worn off by being in a metal coin dispenser similar to the kind used by some street sellers at carnivals, by taxi drivers, some kiosk sellers, etc. I supposed that I should have weighed it, as there could have been a noticeable loss of weight due to the abrasion of the reeds.

Also, I assume that this would leave scratches on the edge. Is there any way to tell for sure whether the plain edge was left that way by the mint, as opposed to being rubbed (or polished?) away, or filed down?

Nice ones, Tane! :ninja:

I have been wondering about plain edge coins in general. In Switzerland, the 2 Franc coin has a reeded edge. Once I found one (circulated, VF grade) with a smooth edge. Since I knew that there are rare Russian varieties with a smooth edge, I took the Swiss coin to a local dealer for his opinion. He thinks that it might have had the reeds worn off by being in a metal coin dispenser similar to the kind used by some street sellers at carnivals, by taxi drivers, some kiosk sellers, etc. I supposed that I should have weighed it, as there could have been a noticeable loss of weight due to the abrasion of the reeds.

Also, I assume that this would leave scratches on the edge. Is there any way to tell for sure whether the plain edge was left that way by the mint, as opposed to being rubbed (or polished?) away, or filed down?

Thanks!

I have a Finnish 50 penniä coin from the 1980's which also has plain edge. It is different to these though; it has scratches and lines which suggest that it probably is altered.

The edge of the 3 kopeck is slightly round and feels completely smooth. If it's altered, it's very well done. The 50 roubles looks a bit more suspicious, but that I think is only because the edge is dirty. It feels and looks like completely smooth too.

Tane, this is my opinion to your questions and I'm glad to see you come back.

1) I'm not too sure if I see it as smooth edge. Even in common circulating coins here in Aus, I find decent VF+ coins but with the edges almost worn off. It might be possible that it's "spooned", i.e. someone tapped the edge with a spoon, thus making it smooth. Some people got too much time on their hands. However if it is a UNC coin, it might be different.

2) That is an interesting coin Tane. I've tested on one of my coins and it's definately not magnetic and it's supposed to be nickel-copper. You might be right that there is more nickel content in it as pure nickel is magnetic. Quite interesting! I should pull out all my coins and test them later.

3) The 1993 50 ruble coin is a very interesting one - if it is non-reeded, I'm sure it's actually magnetic as it's plated steel. This is more interesting as it seems that this particular coin was struck in 1995 instead of 1993. I have raised this topic before here: http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?showtopic=17273

I'm sure you'll find it interesting. Btw, what mintmark is that Tane?

Tane, this is my opinion to your questions and I'm glad to see you come back.

Glad to be back, and always interested to see your comments!

1) I'm not too sure if I see it as smooth edge. Even in common circulating coins here in Aus, I find decent VF+ coins but with the edges almost worn off. It might be possible that it's "spooned", i.e. someone tapped the edge with a spoon, thus making it smooth. Some people got too much time on their hands. However if it is a UNC coin, it might be different.

It indeed is a VF coin, but the edge doesn't look like it was worn, actually nothing like it. The shape is differend. I'll try to draw it later, my English isn't good enough to describe it ;)

2) That is an interesting coin Tane. I've tested on one of my coins and it's definately not magnetic and it's supposed to be nickel-copper. You might be right that there is more nickel content in it as pure nickel is magnetic. Quite interesting! I should pull out all my coins and test them later.

I was very excited about it when I found it :ninja: Tested right away about a dozen of these and no other was magnetic.

I've heard that there are similar Finnish 20 and 50 penniä coins. They are supposed to be made of aluminium-bronze but they are mildly magnetic.

3) The 1993 50 ruble coin is a very interesting one - if it is non-reeded, I'm sure it's actually magnetic as it's plated steel. This is more interesting as it seems that this particular coin was struck in 1995 instead of 1993. I have raised this topic before here: http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?showtopic=17273

I'm sure you'll find it interesting. Btw, what mintmark is that Tane?

It's LMD and it isn't magnetic, that's why it got my attention.

I have the 1995 version. Or one of them, I'm still missing the magnetic MMD.

In this picture you can see a normal 1993 50 rouble, my plain edge error and 1995 brass plated steel coins compared:

111_015.JPG

The error coin is in the middle.

Better photo of the magnetic 15 kopeck:

111_020.JPG

In this picture you can see a normal 1993 50 rouble, my plain edge error and 1995 brass plated steel coins compared:

111_015.JPG

Better photo of the magnetic 15 kopeck:

15 Kopekcs can be magnetic - that issue is a nickel alloy and theoretically can be magnetic..

But that edge-eroors is a really interestng and rare specimens.

Thanks for pics - add it to my data-base

15 Kopekcs can be magnetic - that issue is a nickel alloy and theoretically can be magnetic..

But that edge-eroors is a really interestng and rare specimens.

Thanks for pics - add it to my data-base

This is the best thing when buying random coin lots - you never know what you'll find!

Let me know if you need more pictures! :ninja:

It's definately very interesting. I'm not too sure what the ratio of nickel to copper must be in order for it to be magnetic but I can safely assume that it's very high, perhaps even closer to 90%. Definately unusual.

The edge of the 1993 50 rubles is definately a good illustration. Now I am sure that it's not a plated coin as if it is plated, it usually shows greyish color. Perhaps it skipped the edging device but I'm sure it's not very common - nice one!

By the way when I mean spooned, this is what I mean: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Ring-from-a-Silver-Coin - third image. The edges are hammered and that's why it doesn't seem "normal" and smooth.

• 1 year later...

111_015.JPG

It is well seen here, that coin in the center has less diameter than standard coins. I'm pretty sure, that it is normal coin with the cut off edge. I recommend to compare its weight and diameter with normal coins.

Here are some interesting errors I've found across the years I've been collecting. Nothing extraordinary, but still pretty nice I think :ninja:

3 Kopecks 1911, plain edge:

112.JPG

113.JPG

I love this one, found it in a small lot of copper coins a couple of years ago.

As bobh suggested it would be interesting to hold the coin against another 3kop of the type. If the diameter is smaller, the reeds have been removed.

Is it lighter than the normal 9,83 grams? Sigi

It is well seen here, that coin in the center has less diameter than standard coins. I'm pretty sure, that it is normal coin with the cut off edge. I recommend to compare its weight and diameter with normal coins.

You are right about that one, I noticed that too and the coin is now somewhere in my junk boxes :ninja:

As bobh suggested it would be interesting to hold the coin against another 3kop of the type. If the diameter is smaller, the reeds have been removed.

Is it lighter than the normal 9,83 grams? Sigi

I can't say anything about this coin now, because it is in Finland and I'll be able to examine it in summer at the earliest.

Archived