CoinPeople.com

Another cash coin question

everycountrycoins

Hello again CoinPeople,

Well, I'm having problems nailing down the specific identification of a cash coin that I think is probably not uncommon. The obverse has the common Kuang-hsu T'ung-pao inscription. No problem. However, the reverse has a character/characters on each side of the center square.

The character on the right is Kwang.

The top of the hole appears to have two characters.

The character on the left is roughly similar to Guwang.

The bottom character has a bar over the top of it.

Since most cash coins do not have characters on all four sides of the reverse, I'm hoping that will be enough for someone to know what I have. Just in case any of you have the old catalog by Reinfeld and Hobson, it is the one cash coin depicted in it under China.

Sorry I don't have access to a scanner at the moment,

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Sounds like it's the first struck cash coin type. I use a mixture of pinyin, wade, and other Chinese transliterations, so please bear with me.

Guangdong (Kwangtung) Province

1 wen (cash)

1889-90

brass, weighing 1 qian (chien)

Obv: Kuang Hsu Tung Pao

Rev top: Ku Ping

Rev left: (in Manchu) Guwang

Rev right: Guang (Kwang)

Rev bottom: yi qian (chien)

This piece is a bit scarcer than the more normal looking Guangdong province types of 1890-95 and 1895-99 (undifferentiated in Krause as Y#190).

For some reason your piece is omitted from the 2007 edition of KM. It should be Y#189

Hi Bruce,

Sounds like it's the first struck cash coin type. I use a mixture of pinyin, wade, and other Chinese transliterations, so please bear with me.

Guangdong (Kwangtung) Province

1 wen (cash)

1889-90

brass, weighing 1 qian (chien)

Obv: Kuang Hsu Tung Pao

Rev top: Ku Ping

Rev left: (in Manchu) Guwang

Rev right: Guang (Kwang)

Rev bottom: yi qian (chien)

This piece is a bit scarcer than the more normal looking Guangdong province types of 1890-95 and 1895-99 (undifferentiated in Krause as Y#190).

For some reason your piece is omitted from the 2007 edition of KM. It should be Y#189

Yes, you probably have it. I can now confirm that the reverse top is indeed Ku Ping. The 5th edition of KM description for Y# 189 as having a Type B obverse and an inscription of Kuang-hus T'ung-pao doesn't even make complete sense since I think that the inscription for Type B is Kuang-hsu Chung-pao.

Does anybody have an older edition of the 1801-1900 KM? Is the description of Y#189 better in older editions? Or does one need to go to a different catalog to get an illustration of the coin that I probably have?

Thanks again for the help,

Bruce

• 3 weeks later...

Archived