CoinPeople.com

1802 poltina

squirrel

I compared the item to my books:

The lettering and eagles legs seem too "fragile".

The left neck is too long and out of porportion to right neck.

Obverse looks like business strike but reverse looks like novodel.

I am going to pass on bidding unless authenticity is confirmed.

Lettering doesn't look right too me either.

Eagles are fairly well done and look OK at first glance but I haven't compared to others.

Steve

Obverse looks like business strike but reverse looks like novodel.

I was just trying to establish the meaning of the term. In Russia, for a while, fake coins were called novodels. That was bit confusing. Now the academically established term is "fooflo":ninja:

As far as the coin, I think the lettering is too fine due to corrosion of some kind. That is why the field of the coin looks a bit porous as well. That on its own does not mean anything, since quite often the forgers will corrode a coin with some chemicals on purpose, the same could happen naturally. At any rate, this coin is going to sell well out of my budget independent of its authenticity.

Hi guys, still reverting on weight of my iron/nickel.. whatever coin... need to go home! as for this coin does not look right to me either.. any thoughts on it being cast ? fragility of strike and 'rough' surface would seem to point to this.. in any case coin buying is like the opposite sex ... you know when its right.. no questions come to mind.. just chemistry

Hello,

When I said the reverse looked like the novodel, I was refering to the novodel image in bitikin while the obverse looked like the regular issue from a stylistic standpoint.

For future reference, I use "novodel" to refer to coins made at the mint and not forgeries, fakes, fantasies or copies.

The coin does not appear to be genuine, in my opinion.

I think we have a complete consensus! I will still project the final price to be well over 250 US unless somebody stops the auction.

Well I didn't really like the lettering but can't say for sure it's a fake. It doesn't pass the (Ippocampos) chemistry test with me though.

RWJ...any opinion??

Steve

Well I didn't really like the lettering but can't say for sure it's a fake. It doesn't pass the (Ippocampos) chemistry test with me though.

RWJ...any opinion??

Steve

I looked at the piece and compared it with photos on hand for this year. It does not, to me,

look all that bad and perhaps has been whizzed or otherwise altered. I have no clear

opinion on whether or not it is genuine.

RWJ

Thanks, I will need luck on this one. I bought from this seller before and he seems honest, he promised to give a full refund if it appears it to be a fake. Will send it to NGC, I don't think it will come back graded, looks cleaned, but hope it will be genuine.

• 4 weeks later...
Got this coin, but it doesn't look right. The weight is only 7.8g :ninja:. Don't think genuine coin can have such low weight for this type. Any ideas?

Do not judge fakes by the weight. It could be anything.

However this coin does not need to be put on scales - it is a fake no matter its weight.

Yes, I can see it's an obvious fake now, but I bought a lot of other coins from this seller and they were all good. He was sure it was an original and said there wouldn't be any problems returning it. Hope he will keep his word and I will get my money back without problems. I guess the seller doesn't know much about coins, otherwise he would spot this fake right away.

Archived