CoinPeople.com

Patterns ***New - 12/1/2008 - Elizabeth I Pattern Added***

Johnny 1989

Right, finally got round to scanning my pattern coins, most are Edward VIII (Obviously) but a few there for Victoria & Edward VII. George VI & Elizabeth II are the hardest to get hold of, as is Oliver Cromwell:

Various: Oliver Cromwell, Victoria, Edward VII, George V, George VI, Elizabeth II

Front

PatternOneA.png

Back

PatternOneB.png

Edward VIII

Front

PatternTwoA.png

Back

PatternTwoB.png

I know of at least two missing from Edward VIII, Canada with the same obverse as New Zealand (Crowned) & Australia

Anybody aware of anymore?

J'adore the Isle of Man, 1902 Florin, Irish Edward VII and that 1937 Florin! :ninja:

Thanks, yes the Irish one is one of my faves & I think the obverse for the Edward VII florin is great as well as it's rather different to the rest. Edward VIII/Victoria (seeing as they share the same designs mostly) are my faves, Edward VIII has some of my faves as well, especially New Zealand, South Africa & South Rhodesia

Latest coin - Elizabeth I pattern crown, larger than the other patter crowns here but I assume that the diameter of coins back then was larger.

ElizabethIPatternCrown.png

Yes I know it's too perfect for the time period but it's a nice "what if" coin as in "What if coin making technology had existed several hundread years early"

A very nice collection. You've got some great stuff.

Thanks, I'm trying to get as many as I can but design wise not metal colour, the silver ones unfortunately seem to be double the price yet only a few are hallmarked (the Elizabeth I crown been one of them), plus I like having a variety. George V & George VI seem to be the hardest to come by plus I think they only did the 4 shilling coin for Elizabeth II

• 2 weeks later...

Though these items look nice, I would hardly call them patterns. Pattern is a sample struck according to required specifications of weight and form in order to help making a decision on future coin. Patterns are made prior to mintage of legal tender coins, not after.

Most, if not all of the items on the scans are fantasy issues, never commissioned by official mints as patterns for coins. This of course does not make them less beautiful pieces, but nevertheless they are neither coins, nor patterns for them.

Though these items look nice, I would hardly call them patterns. Pattern is a sample struck according to required specifications of weight and form in order to help making a decision on future coin. Patterns are made prior to mintage of legal tender coins, not after.

Most, if not all of the items on the scans are fantasy issues, never commissioned by official mints as patterns for coins. This of course does not make them less beautiful pieces, but nevertheless they are neither coins, nor patterns for them.

Good point, most are however known as part of the Spink Patina collection & are often reffered to as Pattern.

They supposed to be piedfort patterns, right? Not just patterns

Not sure this is right way to spend money, but it's up to you :ninja:

No they came about when the Royal Mint dropped their planned Millennium series to feature coins with all Monarchs of the 20th Century (Including Victoria & Edward VIII)

I mainly got these for Edward VIII originally (as it was the only way to get coins with his portrait on, however I just grew to like them.

Sure the value probably won't shoot up but to me at least they're a nice keepsake

Archived