CoinPeople.com

Wow! It looks good.

Kristofer

I don't know if it's because of how nice and shiny it is, but the new silver eagle proof looks really nice! I only purchase uncirculated, I've never bought proof. What are your opinions on proofs, are they worth the mark up? I know there will be differing opinions from an investment standpoint and a collecting standpoint, but I think it would be interesting to see.

Here's the picture

Z86_large.jpg

I almost bought a 2007 American Eagle silver proof, but I couldn't pull the trigger for the price. I realized I am really only comfortable at this time collecting American coins that I find in circulation or can get at the bank for face value.

Won't tell you all how many 2007 silver proofs I wound up with.

When they came in the mail (somebody accidentally doubled my order from the mint), I was tempted to send some back, but after checking them over I couldn't bear to part with them.

Someone sold a 2005 silver proof on 'e--y', and I got it at a great price.

Another time I bid on a large number of items from one e--y seller and he discovered one of the coins I had bid on mysteriously disappeared. The seller sent me a 2007 proof silver eagle as an apology. Talk about a great turn of events! wow...

As for the 2008, maybe, maybe not. It is a chunk of change any way you look at it.

Perhaps it just takes a 'love' of shiny proof finishes to make one decide to get it.

Corky

The unc. coins generally fluctuate more with silver prices, so the uncs like those I bought in the 1990s for $120 per roll have almost tripled, the real exception being the 1996s which have shot up far more from that initial $120 purchase. The proofs trade more like coins than metal, I had been buying them since 1990 from the mint (I think the lowest issue price might have been $19) and I remember in 1999 when I dedided to complete the collection by buying the 1986-89 issues, the 1988 was the most expensive, and I thought I got a bargain buying it at $80, but since then they've fallen I think. The ones from 1993-97 however have been going up, where it used to be the 1994 and 1995 were the only ones over $100, now I think almost all of those years are over $100 and some over $200!

Wow, I might want to make sure I purchase some of these then. I didn't realize they appreciated like that. I mean, it's kind of a steep hill because we're tossing the dice that silver will maintain it's current value plus go up. I don't know. We'll see. I figure 30.00 a year isn't too terrible of a price to bite off.

Am I understanding this correctly the American Eagle Silver uncirculated coins go up in price more so than the proofs? :ninja: (I almost bought myself a 2007 proof).

Does anyone think if I actually placed an order for a 2007 uncirculated I would actually still get it or would the mint switch to 2007? You guys are starting to make this a worthwhile investment! ;)

I wasn't referring to the unc ASEs that the mint sells, but rather the plain old bullion uncs that you have to buy through a dealer. Right now, those are selling for around $340 per roll, or about $17.00 each, a premium of $1 or 6.25%. If silver goes up to $18 from the current $16, those will sell for $18-19, but the same may not be true for the proofs or uncs sold by the mint since there is a substantial premium built into the prices. It's basically a principal that the closer you pay to the spot price for a coin, the more the moves in metals prices will impact your returns. In any event, please do not take this as advice to go speculating on proof ASEs or any other coins! Buy the coins because you like them and enjoy them, if you do that, you'll have a great time with this hobby and if profits come, then that's just icing on the cake!

I wasn't referring to the unc ASEs that the mint sells, but rather the plain old bullion uncs that you have to buy through a dealer. Right now, those are selling for around $340 per roll, or about $17.00 each, a premium of $1 or 6.25%. If silver goes up to $18 from the current $16, those will sell for $18-19, but the same may not be true for the proofs or uncs sold by the mint since there is a substantial premium built into the prices. It's basically a principal that the closer you pay to the spot price for a coin, the more the moves in metals prices will impact your returns. In any event, please do not take this as advice to go speculating on proof ASEs or any other coins! Buy the coins because you like them and enjoy them, if you do that, you'll have a great time with this hobby and if profits come, then that's just icing on the cake!

I think that's a great way to look at it, but I do enjoy Icing on my cake! lol.

I think that's a great way to look at it, but I do enjoy Icing on my cake! lol.

I agree!

I'm not a gambler, but was curious if these coins were something that could be worth more later on. If their only $17, but do have a chance of increasing with it's metal value then it might seem more attractive to me later on. Right now I'm just happy picking coins from circulation. :ninja:

Oh, and thanks for the clarification on which coins you were actually referring to.

I have some of the bullion ones but my dealer is a bit pricey. :ninja: I may start buying online. I really try to support the local guy though. It's nice to go to the store and physically see the coins. It keeps me in conflict sometimes. I can't wait to see the '08 proof in person, I hope the owner doesn't get annoyed

"QUIT BREATHING ON THE GLASS!"

I know this question is :ninja: but I've been wondering is there any varieties with the silver eagles?

Do any years have a higher or lower relief then others? More or less detail or have they all looked just exactly the same since 1986?

I know this question is :ninja: but I've been wondering is there any varieties with the silver eagles?

Do any years have a higher or lower relief then others? More or less detail or have they all looked just exactly the same since 1986?

I've been researching for you but I haven't found any information on these specifics, I'll have to look at one of my books when I get home.

I think generally the relief was higher from 1986-1990, then in 1991 (I think) the relief was lowered, similar to the change in relief of all the circulating coinage. As for other varieties, I am not aware of any on the silver ones, however there were several cases of unc. gold eagles being struck with proof dies, thus unc. coins with mintmarks (this was in the late 1990s as I recall).

I think generally the relief was higher from 1986-1990, then in 1991 (I think) the relief was lowered, similar to the change in relief of all the circulating coinage. As for other varieties, I am not aware of any on the silver ones, however there were several cases of unc. gold eagles being struck with proof dies, thus unc. coins with mintmarks (this was in the late 1990s as I recall).

Yes, these ones, I want to say 1996 especially, are really expensive to get because I guess they minted a lot less because a lot of errors. It makes me sad when I look at them at my coin shop.

I think generally the relief was higher from 1986-1990, then in 1991 (I think) the relief was lowered, similar to the change in relief of all the circulating coinage.

Well Jeff, I did some research via Ebay and you are right! The proof is in the pictures. There is a rather large difference between Liberty's head and the starfield in the earlier version.

1986ASE.jpg

2006ASE.jpg

Well Jeff, I did some research via Ebay and you are right! The proof is in the pictures. There is a rather large difference between Liberty's head and the starfield in the earlier version.

1986ASE.jpg

2006ASE.jpg

Wow, good to know. That will probably add to their value later on, I may need to get some more of the 1980s

Archived