CoinPeople.com

How much is grading?

Kristofer

I've read a couple of threads on here and notice many people send their coins in for grading by PCGS, about how much does this cost for an average coin? I'd figure it would cost lots of money. But It must be semi affordable if this many people are doing it.

It depends on the tier of service you choose, most services like PCGS and NGC offer an economy tier, where the cost might be as low as $20, but it might take a month to be graded. At the other end of the spectrum is the 1-day turnaround "walkthrough" service, which may cost $100 or more per coin. I don't grade too many coins, but usually what I do is join the NCG collectors society which costs $99 and gets me 5 free gradings, which to me seems reasonable and will accomodate my grading for the year!

I have sent a coin to IGS. It is $5 per coin. But with insurance and shipping ( both the cheapest) it was around $23.50 . But after that just keep adding $5 as long as it is under 9 coins. The best part is that you get the coin back in around two weeks. That is the lowest price I could find.

Having coins graded and slabbed is a growing fad lately. Just attempt to remember that if the coin is only worth a few dollars, it would not be worth having it graded and slabbed. Also, remember that if your intensions are only as a collector, not a dealer or someone that wants to sell coins, again, serves very little purpose for having them graded. I've seen coins that are worth only a few dollars in slabs at coin shows. Makes no sence since now that coin must be sold for many times what it is worth to pay for the slab.

However, since this slabbing and grading fad in constantly growing and new TPG's are popping up almost every day, if you really want to have coins graded, wait. Soon there will be many, many grading servises and for considerably less cost.

When it comes to grading services... you get what you pay for... if you send it to someone besides the top 3 or 4 grading services the coins grade will be discounted if you want to sell it because of the holder that it is in. Now this is sometimes true with the top services as well because no one is perfect...but the top companies do have a respected reputation that they have been building for years... If your coin needs to be in a slab... ie a high dollar coin, or a coin that needs a rare variety attributed... don't waste your money on no name slabs... If you just want your coin in a slab to have it in a slab....order the ones out of the coinworld and do it yourself... thats what some of these new so called TPG's would do if you sent your coins to them anyways....

Archived