CoinPeople.com

French jeton with czech engraving!!!

Hello together,

i have found this token on ebay , looks a little strange to me with this gravure ! What do you say about it?

I haven't a clue as to what the engraving is all about, but I do know that it hasn't done anything for the original jeton by way of being an `enhancement'.

The reverse of the original jeton depicts the consecration of King Louis XV at Rheims, France in 1722. These jetons were issued in laiton (yellow copper, also known as `brass'), silvered laiton, and also .93 silver. The laiton ones are readily available in decent grades at affordable prices (usually under $15). The reverses were common to all metal types but there are different known bust varieties.

Here's one that I have in silver. It will at least give you an idea of what the engraving has obliterated.

http://omnicoin.com/coin_view_enlarge.aspx?id=917803

Here is a token I have along the same theme. Its much rougher than the one posted above.

jeton2.jpg

It looks to me to be a Nuremberg type jeton. Although dated 1723, the bust of Louis XV is more like he would have looked in the 1750's, which is probably more likely when it was produced.

Ian

Archived