CoinPeople.com

Grand Duke Georgii Mikhailovich Cabinet Medal

I enjoy the curious stray elements of my collection and do not set out to get them. But when something catches my eye, I buy it. But one stray item that I would buy if available (and within budget) is this cabinet medal.

On a more egomanialical note, about what would it take to have a cabinet medal crafted for "Thee Immortal One Collection". I only need a few.

I enjoy the curious stray elements of my collection and do not set out to get them. But when something catches my eye, I buy it. But one stray item that I would buy if available (and within budget) is this cabinet medal.

On a more egomanialical note, about what would it take to have a cabinet medal crafted for "Thee Immortal One Collection". I only need a few.

Last one was sold in Russia at auction. It brought something like $15,000 -- I am a bit hazy on the exact price, for it is not within my collecting interests. However, if someone offered a proof or an BUnc. specimen for under $10,000, I would consider it a bargain nowdays and would probably purchase it. Thus, in order to own one of these, your budget for "stray" material would have to be somewhat sizable. :-) Although, in a day and age when a simple "sun" ruble costs 8 - 10K, and a rather common ruble of Ioann sells for over 25K, the proposition of buying a very rare medal related to one of the most famous collectors of russian material for $10K does not strike me as insane, even if you do not collect medals.

Although, in a day and age when a simple "sun" ruble costs 8 - 10K, and a rather common ruble of Ioann sells for over 25K, the proposition of buying a very rare medal related to one of the most famous collectors of russian material for $10K does not strike me as insane, even if you do not collect medals.

Agreed.

But where have you seen an Ioann III rouble sell for over 25K? It must have been a killer example to reach that level! :ninja:

Agreed.

But where have you seen an Ioann III rouble sell for over 25K? It must have been a killer example to reach that level! :ninja:

With the relentless rise in prices perhaps nothing is surprising. In the recent

Busso Peus sale (No. 393, November 1) a VF-XF Moscow rouble of Ivan III

brought €46,000.

RWJ

Last one was sold in Russia at auction. It brought something like $15,000 -- I am a bit hazy on the exact price, for it is not within my collecting interests. However, if someone offered a proof or an BUnc. specimen for under $10,000, I would consider it a bargain nowdays and would probably purchase it. Thus, in order to own one of these, your budget for "stray" material would have to be somewhat sizable. :-) Although, in a day and age when a simple "sun" ruble costs 8 - 10K, and a rather common ruble of Ioann sells for over 25K, the proposition of buying a very rare medal related to one of the most famous collectors of russian material for $10K does not strike me as insane, even if you do not collect medals.
I will pay more then 10K for specific years of GM medal. Full days collection not complete in Hermitage or Smithsonian.